Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,421  

Dftodd

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota l1501, Z121s
U still have not answered my original questions. Who are “they?” And what is the “push” you mentioned.

babble, babble, babble, nothingness…..
Well..... the push might just be the switch to EV's and the anti-oil agenda.... just maybe.

And "They" are listed at the bottom of my first post you quoted. Hence I already stated who "They" were.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,422  

Larry Caldwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota l3130
The American car buying public is fickle. 50 years ago the gasoline price hikes led to a boom in Japanese compacts, which took over the market from the US dinosaur clones. Cheap gasoline led to a resurgence of the SUV, and 4 door pickups. This time, expensive gasoline will lead to the sale of every EV anyone can manufacture. They may convert the gassers to hydrogen or CNG, but EVs are way ahead on infrastructure. It's the wave of the future. Better start value shopping.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,423  

Dftodd

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota l1501, Z121s
The American car buying public is fickle. 50 years ago the gasoline price hikes led to a boom in Japanese compacts, which took over the market from the US dinosaur clones. Cheap gasoline led to a resurgence of the SUV, and 4 door pickups. This time, expensive gasoline will lead to the sale of every EV anyone can manufacture. They may convert the gassers to hydrogen or CNG, but EVs are way ahead on infrastructure. It's the wave of the future. Better start value shopping.
Last year CNG was more expensive then gas. Same with E80.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,424  

Doughknob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X500, Bobcat CT4045
Well..... the push might just be the switch to EV's and the anti-oil agenda.... just maybe.

And "They" are listed at the bottom of my first post you quoted. Hence I already stated who "They" were.
Oh brother 🙄. Still a bunch of nothingness. Generic conspiracy dumbness. I get it now.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,426  

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Value shopping will happen but USA options are limited.

I got the Leaf back today after a parking lot accident when the windshield was removed and reset due to a leak. The body shop owner's 83 yo father hit the front bumper skin causing hairline cracks in the paint. Our Leaf was his first EV in his shop.

He and his wife just returned from Ireland and he said there was many Leafs in Ireland and there was chargers everywhere you looked at street level.

Since Nissan upgraded our 2016 Leaf SL with the larger 2020 40 kWh 150 mile range battery pack it meets most of area trip needs. In 4 years at today's gas prices the savings will fully pay the full purchase price of our EV and let us pass on by the gas pumps.

Initially I did not buy it thinking it would pay for itself Lock stock and barrel overtime but I bought it because it had the electric heat pump so I can stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer standing still without burning any gasoline. In my case the 360 surround camera is a huge safety feature in parking lots and missing my old dog laying in the driveway.

In 2019 when I bought it few even realized it didn't have a gas tank and even fewer cared. Now when they realize I need $3.50 in gas money to go to the major shopping mall in Paducah which is a 100 mile round trip most have more interest in EVs.

Common sense is what is driving EV sales to the common car owner today .

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,427  

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
I'd like to see a real world person actually do that drive and document it than rely on a trip planner for a guestimation.
Such websites which posted erroneous route estimates have died. I find their estimates have been reasonable for my 540 mile days but failed to update for a Tesla firmware change which greatly slowed the rate my 2013 charged at Superchargers. The times are reasonable for a 2016 model.

What the EV planning sites do not do very well is warn of chargers out of order. The reputation of all but Tesla is a joke. As often as not, a CCS or CHAdeMO charger is offline. Which is no small part of the “problems” in the two recently cited smear pieces articles.

PlugShare does the best job of tracking out of order. Doesn’t do route planning. Relies on registered users (free) to report the status. But that means someone had to go to the site and not be able to charge.

Tesla does route planning in-car. For laughs I entered Temecula, CA as destination from my home in north Alabama. 1988 miles, 38 hours 31 minutes including charging my old Model S which charges 3 to 4 times slower than the current Tesla batteries.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,428  

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
You are also assuming that all of the chargers that handy trip planner identifies are actually working or not in use at the time of Charging. There is a fairly rampant problem with people leaving non EVs parked in front of the station, or EVs that are fully charged, or the station is non-functional (credit card reader not working, malfunction of power, etc).
Yes, I have said that. Government funded CCS chargers have about 70% uptime. Usually only 1 or 2 per site and when one is down both are usually down. Tesla updates Supercharger status in real time in-car. I know how many charging bays at the site and how many are in use or OoO. Originally Tesla built 8 Superchargers at the smaller sites, now 12 seems to be small, 16 common.

The biggest problem is “getting ICEd” when typically a diesel pickup uses the EV charging slave to park. A phone call gets them towed but it takes a while.

As for an EV left unattended after charge complete, the site knows. Tesla bills $1/minute. As a result has very little trouble.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,429  

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Such websites which posted erroneous route estimates have died. I find their estimates have been reasonable for my 540 mile days but failed to update for a Tesla firmware change which greatly slowed the rate my 2013 charged at Superchargers. The times are reasonable for a 2016 model.

What the EV planning sites do not do very well is warn of chargers out of order. The reputation of all but Tesla is a joke. As often as not, a CCS or CHAdeMO charger is offline. Which is no small part of the “problems” in the two recently cited smear pieces articles.

PlugShare does the best job of tracking out of order. Doesn’t do route planning. Relies on registered users (free) to report the status. But that means someone had to go to the site and not be able to charge.

Tesla does route planning in-car. For laughs I entered Temecula, CA as destination from my home in north Alabama. 1988 miles, 38 hours 31 minutes including charging my old Model S which charges 3 to 4 times slower than the current Tesla batteries.
My wife went out test driving cars today. She's on the hunt. Talking to a salesman that has an electric car. He said it added 8 hours to his trip from here to Florida due to having to stop and charge, and added a day to his trip. Wish I was there to interrogate him to find out what car he was talking about.