Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,072  
My wife's WRX is optimistic on MPG. When it says we are getting 23 mpg (just a eg) it is actually 22._. The speedometer is also off about 3-4 mph based on roadside radar signs and GPS. In my experience most speedometers are reading higher than actual speed. My Mazda is also off 4 mph. The Jeep seems to be accurate (based on GPS indicated speed) but it has slightly larger tires than stock.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,073  

Steven is blont but so is Sandy.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,074  
This hydrogen EV option could get traction.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,075  
My wife's WRX is optimistic on MPG. When it says we are getting 23 mpg (just a eg) it is actually 22._. The speedometer is also off about 3-4 mph based on roadside radar signs and GPS. In my experience most speedometers are reading higher than actual speed. My Mazda is also off 4 mph. The Jeep seems to be accurate (based on GPS indicated speed) but it has slightly larger tires than stock.
What kind of WRX?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,076  
The brown sides of going green today.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,078  

Steven is blont but so is Sandy.
He is pretty complimentary of Farley and says Ford is the least likely to go bust from the EV changeover. He really doesn't like GM's Barra and I agree %100 on both counts. That's why I'm betting on Ford. IMO they are way undervalued.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,079  
Most Subaru dealers don't know they can do it but the Subaru Star diagnostic software has a buried menu for recalibrating the MPG calculation. You have to tell the dealer exactly how much of a correction you want. But 22 for displayed 23 is much better than most.

My Outback's and F-150's MPH are within 0.5 MPH vs Garmin. Neither displays fractional MPH. Tesla is 1 MPH fast at 60 MPH. My Yamaha is 2-3 MPH fast at 60. Had a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS which displayed 2 MPH slow. Never saw that before or since. It also got better MPG at 68 MPH (seemed to peak at 68) than at 60 MPH. Damndest thing, but I had 20 travel days of 500 miles of evidence.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,080  
This hydrogen EV option could get traction.

Meh. Been saying that for 50 years. Hydrogen retains all the characteristics of gasoline/oil distribution so politicians and bureaucrats love it. Doesn't upset their little world. They still get to tax and regulate "gas stations". Tax and regulate delivery trucks. Tax and regulate H2 generator plants. Consumers still have to go to "gas stations" where they buy taxed and regulated coffee and slurpees.

The root problem of hydrogen is the need for 2-3x the energy to extract hydrogen from water (as necessary for the "renewable" claim) vs using that energy directly to charge a lithium EV battery.

And while haters seem to think pictures of a coal train is some sort of proof of the error of EVs, the only economically viable source of hydrogen (due to the cost of electricity to extract from water) is natural gas. Natural gas is much more efficient used directly in internal combustion engines than if H2 extracted to use in FC vehicles. CNG is easier and safer to handle than H2. Gasoline ignition engines require very few tuning tweaks to run on CNG.

H2 is a solution which only pleases politicians.