Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,331  
No imagining at all. The reality of ownership and age. Use your head for something other than keeping your ears apart.....lol.
I've got better things to think about than imagined problems with a vehicle I don't plan to purchase.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,332  
I've got better things to think about than imagined problems with a vehicle I don't plan to purchase.
Then why did you make the snarky comment? All I did was pose a scenario as it pertains to aging EV and road chemicals.

I don't see it as an 'imagined problem' at all but reality as they get older and run through winters on treated roads.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,333  
Then why did you make the snarky comment? All I did was pose a scenario as it pertains to aging EV and road chemicals.

I don't see it as an 'imagined problem' at all but reality as they get older and run through winters on treated roads.
Because this thread is entertaining, I read it and think many of the posts are amusing.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,335  
Just watched Scotty Kilmer (on YT), attempt to plug his very expensive Bosch scan tool into a new Ford electric Mustang. It plugs in ok (has an OBD connector) but the scan tool won't download anything because Fords made the access to the ECM proprietary. IOW you have to go to a dealer to access anything. Not that an EV will ever break...lol

Kind of smells like what tractor manufacturers did with their T4 final ECM controlled tractors.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,336  
Anyone with direct or indirect Prius ownership experience? I started looking online about 15 minutes ago and realized there are many names and numbers associated with Priuses in general.

My son in law is starting his 4th year of college working on a degree teaching English so he will be driving a great deal this semester and even more in the spring. The Pontiac G6 is coming up on 225K miles and is a visible oil burner.

I got a family lead on a high end 2010 Ford Edge with 99K miles for $6800 in a private sale but the first person to see it bought. One dealership had 2016 Ford Fusion with 90K out of Detroit for $15K. I am thinking about an older Prius with a battery with 3 years of functioning life left as an option.

There is no point in a plug in version. Daily mileage will be 50-125 miles.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,337  
People who claim they will never own a ev seem to enjoying imagining problems with them.
I'm actually for them. They just need to actually get infrastructure in my area for it to be practical.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,338  
Anyone with direct or indirect Prius ownership experience? I started looking online about 15 minutes ago and realized there are many names and numbers associated with Priuses in general.

My son in law is starting his 4th year of college working on a degree teaching English so he will be driving a great deal this semester and even more in the spring. The Pontiac G6 is coming up on 225K miles and is a visible oil burner.

I got a family lead on a high end 2010 Ford Edge with 99K miles for $6800 in a private sale but the first person to see it bought. One dealership had 2016 Ford Fusion with 90K out of Detroit for $15K. I am thinking about an older Prius with a battery with 3 years of functioning life left as an option.

There is no point in a plug in version. Daily mileage will be 50-125 miles.
I had a Prius hybrid as a company car for 5 years or so. They are like a modern day Studebaker Lark - no frills, no style and bigger on the inside than they are on the outside. One significant flaw though - the traction control is awful in snow country.If it detects any wheel slip, it just shuts down. If you hit a small patch of ice crossing an intersection, it just stops and pauses to think about moving forward again. If you get more than 2" of snow, it will not let you get up a head of steam.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,339  
I had a Prius hybrid as a company car for 5 years or so. They are like a modern day Studebaker Lark - no frills, no style and bigger on the inside than they are on the outside. One significant flaw though - the traction control is awful in snow country.If it detects any wheel slip, it just shuts down. If you hit a small patch of ice crossing an intersection, it just stops and pauses to think about moving forward again. If you get more than 2" of snow, it will not let you get up a head of steam.
Maybe a used Volt instead.
Nephew and his wife drove it all winter and the traction control works well on it.

I was surprised how well it got around for such a low slung vehicle.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,340  
Maybe a used Volt instead.
Nephew and his wife drove it all winter and the traction control works well on it.

I was surprised how well it got around for such a low slung vehicle.
Personally I would like a volt but we live in an area where next to none where sold and getting service probably would involve traveling.