Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #21  
Minimum 216 miles round trip to work on current project for next few years.
Handles the point A-B-A quite nicely and is faster than most anything on the road around me. Currently, less than $2.50/day ‘fuel’ cost. Someday that will change. Today it works.

One of the only vehicles in its price range that can be bought new and sold for more than purchased 10,000miles later. Someday that will also change, like when supply gets remotely close to demand.

Diesel truck stays in the barn unless something besides people needs hauled or I feel the need to drive my manly truck.

……..

Here come the EV will never work comments, EV is a fad, ICE rules, can never use EV to move heavy loads, grid will collapse, commute to grocery store down the block only, a tow truck will never figure out how to get that AWD vehicle on a flatbed, what else? I come here to see the comments of the most closed minded people on the interwebs! Entertainment for me while I sit on the pot.

Never mind some of the largest earth moving machines on the planet are electric and have been for decades.
You just described the ideal run around vehicle. Leave the expensive HD 4WD pickup under cover until you need it, that way it isn't worn out prematurely. That's why I'm looking at the Maverick; $20K +-, good on fuel, and I can run it on battery on my many short spurts (1/4 mile) up to my garden area and back. Then I can park the Colorado for when I need it... until I can upgrade to that F250 dump which I've always wanted.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #23  
In Texas, driverless trucks are set to take over roads

If anyone in TX sees driverless semis please post a note.

See them almost every day on I45 south of Dallas. Always a driver in them at the moment. Hard to miss light blue color with 2 giant rotating units above the mirrors.

I think they will become more reliable faster then Tesla FSD with use of LiDAR and radar. Teslas camera use is pretty amazing, but still has some limitations. Car drives about 70% of my commute for me. Obviously my hand is still mostly on the wheel and I’m responsible for the cars actions (paying attention), but it is pretty nice letting the car do its thing.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #24  
I just think that having big trucks, pick-ups, and sporty cars as EVs is silly. Why not go after the urban vehicle market like taxis, mail and delivery vehicles? Make them boxy, easy to use, and park. They don't have to be high speed but efficient with a common battery that can be swapped out easily when needed.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #25  
I just think that having big trucks, pick-ups, and sporty cars as EVs is silly. Why not go after the urban vehicle market like taxis, mail and delivery vehicles? Make them boxy, easy to use, and park. They don't have to be high speed but efficient with a common battery that can be swapped out easily when needed.
Obviously it’s because people like driving big trucks, pick-ups and sporty cars as opposed to dorky, boxy cars.
Practically speaking, urban vehicles should be their primary market, but most urban dwellers wont have charging stations. Taxis and city delivery? Definitely
Just because EVs are taking over doesn’t mean we all have to drive the next Yugo. Hence the Hummer, F-150 lightning.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #26  
We're 10 plus years from having batteries to even do what you're talking about doing. 10 years from now your views might be very different also. :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #27  
Everyone who has tried that, failed. Consider https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place_(company)

Every intellectual who knows everything due to deep thought processes (but has never ever had to make something work) thinks EVs need swappable batteries. Real world good EV battery costs $20,000. The only practical logistics is for one to subscribe to a battery subscription service who owns the battery you are using. That service has to pay all their own overhead, the capital cost of inventory plus units fielded with customers, and has to charge you the worst case wear and tear rates for your use. Intellectuals can not be bothered with these details.

Consider this: I pay $0.10/kWh at home to charge. Tesla only aims to break even on Superchargers where the local rate is $0.26/kWh. Totally self-serve without the machinery, battery, or technician on site, that is what they have to bill to break even on the equipment, power, and real estate. Electrify America is more expensive even funded by billions of VW fines, which Tesla is not.

At $0.26/kWh a Model 3 is cost equivalent of 44 MPG$ at $3.00/gallon. Nice but not really a home run. Enough to make up for the inconvenience on long days? Maybe not.

At $0.10/kWh you have an exciting 115 MPG$.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #29  

John Weber produces some detailed EV technical videos. This one focuses on common design features of Tesla front and rear drive units common to Models 3 and Y's.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #30  
I think people need to drop the range concerns at this point, when a vehicle can get over 300 miles on a charge, that covers prolly 98% of all people. I almost never empty my entire tank in one day, and if i was going to, I'd prolly take another vehicle. I drove 1k miles last week to and from work, and even in that scenario driving home everyday, the ev would have been filled.

people are grasping at straws, don't want one, don't buy one. I don't live within 20 minutes of a gas station, I would get a ev alone for that reason.