Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,881  

A major concern that I have for the OEMs just getting started in building battery factories is that their technology will be so antiquated by the time they get the factories built and get the technology proven.
The point of building the factory is to get your hands dirty and be the one creating the new technology. Its not a matter of mixing a packet of Kool-Aid with water, the devil is in the details. Just witness the issues with the GM Bolt battery. Apparently the design was OK if it had been assembled correctly. Someone running the production line changed something they should not.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,884  
Found this interesting
apparently the EPA mileage testing that is shown as EPA test is not done by the EPA at all in most cases.

The manufacturers lobbied to do the tests themselves and then submit their findings.
No wonder some electrics do not meet the MPGe rating and some others do much better real world since they are allowed to de-rate the Miles.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,887  
And this is the type of thing that led to the 737 max 8. Government selling its power to the manufacturer

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,888  
As a tax payer I realize I am going to be pouring money into solar panels and storage batteries come hell or high water. As the technology improves, I'm serious about looking at how I can recoup some tax dollars by participating in the effort.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,889  
Questions that wonder about too.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,890