Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,081  
There may be safety limits at certain weights. Think about the damage a 9k pound pickup could do to a 3k pound car. If it hit you head on - it would just go on through. Atleast the undercarriage with all the weight would. Yikes.
I think about that when a bf-pickup parks next to me in the parking lot. Some of them park as bad as i do and use part of my space. Oh wait, wrong thread. 🙃

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,082  
The high gross margin profitability potential of EVs is driving OEMs to focus on copying Tesla's success. OEMs are not excited about the 10 year learning curve and lossing billions each of those 10 years copying Tesla.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,083  
Charging an electric AMC Gremlin at a curbside charging station. 1hr for 25¢. Seattle, 1973.

Attachments

• electro.jpg
    electro.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 49
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,084  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,085  
Ever hear of a "depletion allowance?" That's a tax subsidy, pure and simple. I have a friend with a gold mine who would love to write off the value of the gold removed from the ground as a tax deduction.
Only applies if you own the resource. Oil companies lease and pay the owner by the barrel for oil extracted. Most of those owners are government.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,086  
In my case $50k ICE or $50k EV.
There isn’t a $20k ICE option I would have purchased. Just because I could purchase a Honda Civic to drive doesn’t mean that would be the comparable vehicle I would be shopping for.
Ditto. When I buy a vehicle I want something different from what I have had before.

First car was a 1971 Dodge Charger 318cid. A monster. And relatively slow. Replaced by:

1978 “Dodge” (Mitsubishi) Challenger 2.6L I4 5 speed. Carburetor flooded after car sits for 10 minutes, won’t restart for 30. Ignition still used points and ate them every 4,000 miles. Plotted MPG vs points, just under 18 MPG the engine would quit running. Replaced by:

1986 VW Golf. Fuel injection and electronic ignition! But while the Challenger had wonderful 4 wheel disc brakes the Golf had rear drums which required manual adjustment. Replaced by Infiniti G20.

Added 1983 Porsche 928S 5 speed. Still have it.

1993 Infiniti G20 5 speed. 4 wheel disk brake ABS, fuel injection, electronic ignition. Wish I still had this car. Replaced by:

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS. Checked all the boxes, should have loved it but never did. Replaced by Prius.

Added 2001 GMC Sonoma 2.2L 5 speed 7’ bed. Great cheap dirtbike hauler. Two fit lengthwise with tailgate closed. Replaced by F-250.

2007 Toyota Prius. Loved everything about the Prius I didn’t like about the Avalon. Didn’t like the suspension tune on either, Avalon too soft, Prius was bad ride hard not sport hard. Replaced by Tesla Model S.

2008 Ford F-250 Superduty Supercrew 4WD Lariat 6.4L Powerstroke. 6-3/4’ bed didn’t quite fit the dirtbikes. Tailgate would almost close. Great beast for the 20’ toy hauler I later bought. 8 MPG at diesl prices no fun. Developed a fear of what this thing would cost to repair. Replaced by ML320.

In 2012 traded the F-250 for a 2009 Mercedes-Benz ML320 Bluetec diesel AWD rated to tow the toy hauler. This proved to be the repair disaster I feared the F-250 would be. About $2000/year until 2016. Loved it but for the repairs and the German idiocy toward user interfaces to controls. Replaced by Subaru Outback.

2013 Tesla Model S 85 replaced the Prius.

2016 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i replaced the ML320. Won’t pull the toy hauler but serves well with my Kendon dual motorcycle open trailer. Gets better MPG than the ML320, and at gasoline prices. With trailer better than the Sonoma without trailer.

Added 2018 F-150 XLT Supercab 4WD 2.7EB. Needed a real truck again for my property in TN. Also useful to move when the new house is built.

Have a similar path in motorcycle ownership.

$600 charger - or free as a charger that was included with car, just slower (mine is plugged in overnight, would work just fine for 95% of my needs). No house upgrades were required as there is a 50A outlet in the wall.

Annnd my electricity didn’t double. House/Shop is by far the larger user.
TeslaFi.com is one of a couple subscriptions you could buy which will track your Tesla’s real use. Under 4¢/mile here.

It ain’t a “charger”. That thing in the wall is called a Wall Connector by Tesla. The industry term is EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). Is just a smart extension cord. The L2 charger is built in to the vehicle.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,088  
Only applies if you own the resource. Oil companies lease and pay the owner by the barrel for oil extracted. Most of those owners are government.
90% of oil in the U.S. comes from private lands, not government owned land. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,089  
TeslaFi.com is one of a couple subscriptions you could buy which will track your Tesla’s real use. Under 4¢/mile here.

It ain’t a “charger”. That thing in the wall is called a Wall Connector by Tesla. The industry term is EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). Is just a smart extension cord. The L2 charger is built in to the vehicle.

You’re correct, very simple device, not a charger.

TeslaFi subscriber here!

IMG_0464.JPG

$0.017/mi for me, but I charge free at work.
$0.030/mi if I wasn’t able to charge free at work.

(My Diesel Ram is rocking $0.339/mi since new in diesel)

Also at 95% charge efficiency (largely because I’ve never been to a supercharger) which is a good 5% better than the ‘charging losses’ in the motor trend images above.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,090  
Double post