Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#1,251  
Ya think Clean Energy Grid dot Org isn't biased? They wouldn't have written the article had it not said things the way they wanted to spin.
Yes but bias in the other way. It makes solar look bad in CA, which in my opinion would not be the way they want to portray it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,252  
Is reasonable for depending upon the government to fuel your EV.

Is unreasonable to expect the government's pet Electrify America who is the recipient of all Dieselgate fines to do anything but optimized the spending of funds in such a way as to appease government accountants.

So far they are living down to that expectation.

What point 1000 gas stations when there is a reliable Tesla Supercharger every 100 miles?

EV Trip Planner says there are at least 12 Tesla Superchargers on that route. 816.1 miles, 12:50 driving, 14:24 total for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

ABRP thinks the Kia EV6 can do it in total 14:05 with stops totalling 1:08 and $92 using government CCS chargers. My money is on the Tesla getting there first.

Comparing apples with apples, ABRP with Tesla Model 3 LR is 12:40 driving (faster? no, fewer detours off the route to get to charging stations) 14:00 total and only $45. I think EVTripPlanner has a better track record than ABRP for estimating trip power usage.

Trip cost with ABRP isn't quite right. Assumes one starts with 90% charge and arrives with 10%. So it is short the cost of charging 180% of your vehicle's battery capacity. Interesting how the government chargers cost double what Tesla bills.

Yup, simply awful to have to add an hour and a half to a 13 hour drive which any reasonable person would do rather than drive 13 hours nonstop. Clearly EVs are totally impractical for long distance road trips.
I'd like to see a real world person actually do that drive and document it than rely on a trip planner for a guestimation.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,253  
That's a shame. I wonder if they ever could have made it if the two big wigs hadn't been accused of improper stock purchases. They are/were in the old AM General hummer plant in Mishawaka, IN, which is right next door.

I had the opportunity to drive one of their vans for an afternoon. It was OK for a utility van around town. Good pickup. Huge interior. Pretty functional. I did not like that you could not coast in it. If you took your foot off the accelerator it would grab and slow down fast. I'm guessing that was the regenerative braking? Having never driven an electric vehicle meant for road use, that's just a guess. So it was kind of a go or slow down fast kinda feeling. Weird. I wouldn't want to drive it on the highway. Other than that, it would have been a fine vehicle for around town and stop and go traffic.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,254  
That's a shame. I wonder if they ever could have made it if the two big wigs hadn't been accused of improper stock purchases. They are/were in the old AM General hummer plant in Mishawaka, IN, which is right next door.

I had the opportunity to drive one of their vans for an afternoon. It was OK for a utility van around town. Good pickup. Huge interior. Pretty functional. I did not like that you could not coast in it. If you took your foot off the accelerator it would grab and slow down fast. I'm guessing that was the regenerative braking? Having never driven an electric vehicle meant for road use, that's just a guess. So it was kind of a go or slow down fast kinda feeling. Weird. I wouldn't want to drive it on the highway. Other than that, it would have been a fine vehicle for around town and stop and go traffic.
Yes that is the nature of virginity breaking. I know on the leaf you can put it in d and it's almost no regen or you can put it in b and the regen is very high so it's close to one pedal driving but not fully like the newer EVS are.

Some are so accustomed to wearing out brakes they like to Coast but people with an EV l prefer not to buy new brakes and to pay less electricity bill. One pedal driving took me probably about 3 days to get accustomed to it and I noticed after being out of the EV for 18 months that I had to learn that again. In the day I did much of my braking by downshifting the manual transmission which is the same results except it does not pump more gas back into your gas tank. :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,255  
This sounds like positive news for 14-year-old Tesla battery packs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#1,256  
Is reasonable for depending upon the government to fuel your EV.

Is unreasonable to expect the government's pet Electrify America who is the recipient of all Dieselgate fines to do anything but optimized the spending of funds in such a way as to appease government accountants.

So far they are living down to that expectation.

What point 1000 gas stations when there is a reliable Tesla Supercharger every 100 miles?

EV Trip Planner says there are at least 12 Tesla Superchargers on that route. 816.1 miles, 12:50 driving, 14:24 total for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

ABRP thinks the Kia EV6 can do it in total 14:05 with stops totalling 1:08 and $92 using government CCS chargers. My money is on the Tesla getting there first.

Comparing apples with apples, ABRP with Tesla Model 3 LR is 12:40 driving (faster? no, fewer detours off the route to get to charging stations) 14:00 total and only $45. I think EVTripPlanner has a better track record than ABRP for estimating trip power usage.

Trip cost with ABRP isn't quite right. Assumes one starts with 90% charge and arrives with 10%. So it is short the cost of charging 180% of your vehicle's battery capacity. Interesting how the government chargers cost double what Tesla bills.

Yup, simply awful to have to add an hour and a half to a 13 hour drive which any reasonable person would do rather than drive 13 hours nonstop. Clearly EVs are totally impractical for long distance road trips.
You are also assuming that all of the chargers that handy trip planner identifies are actually working or not in use at the time of Charging. There is a fairly rampant problem with people leaving non EVs parked in front of the station, or EVs that are fully charged, or the station is non-functional (credit card reader not working, malfunction of power, etc).

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,257  

This is two informed men talking about the potential vehicles that may be moving the butts of grandkids. If wondering about such things is painful at a mental level don't click.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,258  

Clearly for the EV evolution to speed up power generation has to speed up.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,260  
Well...here's the answer to your question under comments section of the video.
What a deal! And of course we don't factor THAT into the cost of EV ownership...they still get $0.035 per mile equivalent to an ICE vehicle.
The high gas & diesel price of course is related either to supply & demand, Putins war OR corporate greed.
Any idiot knows THAT!
2022_06_14_11.48.09.jpg

Last edited: