Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,051  
VW has a surprise.. This was recorded before they fired their CEO.

My money is literally on Ford. They just raised their dividend to .15 or about 4% annual and the stock price is rising. Their sales crushed GM last quarter.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,052  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,055  
I expect the specs of any Leaf motor produced is not much better than their prototypes of the late 90's.

Technically Tesla is the only real EV option in my current view.

For making two daily low speed 30 mile trips most any EV could be an option.
... and a point many miss that the same geniuses behind Green New Deal, and the Davos "you don't need an automobile", through their brilliant minds' deductions decided an 80 mile EV is all one needs. They thought L2 EVSEs would be all that is needed.

Then Elon Musk turned their world upside down when a Tesla Roadster got 240 miles on the (then new) EPA cycle. And the Model S 85 shipped with 265 mile range. Plus a high speed buildout of 120 kW DC Superchargers without waiting on government handouts.

BMW and Nissan tried putting a DC charger or two at each dealership. Most dealerships locked their lots during off hours. And many routinely blocked access to the charger.

Today everyone but Tesla is expecting government programs to build fast DC charging networks such as Electrify America. But EA's primary goal is to spend free government money to establish themselves as the only game in town. Their equipment is unreliable. They are slow to repair.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,056  
Yes but 346.2 miles divided by 5:19 (5.31) is 65 MPH average moving speed. So for every mile at 75 MPH you also drove a mile at about 55 MPH.

You are doing a lot of assuming. I did not spend much time driving at 55. I did spend a lot of time sitting in construction zones, fuming at the delays, with engine and a/c running but either stopped or barely moving. When not in a construction zone the cruise was set at either 75-77 or 82-83 mph, depending on the speed limit. Matter of fact, after the trip (3000+ miles) was over and I checked my GPS unit it told me at some point I had hit 93 mph.

But that's not the point I was trying to make. I was driving a truck that essentially has a 2000 lb payload, yet it was getting fantastic fuel mileage compared to any pickups I owned in the past.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,057  
If the CyberTruck doesn't beat this by a country mile EVs may not cut it for towing.

Cyber Truck? LOL, Anybody that didn't realize towing a trailer would cut range in 1/2 or more isn't paying attention. Towing a trailer with an ICE truck can cut mileage in 1/2 also. They just start out with a bigger range.

Side Note: I got 57 mpg on a 38 mile trip home from work last night with a tailwind of about 15mph. At $4.00 per gallon that's 7 cents per mile. At $2 per gallon (where it should be) that's 3.5 cents per mile. This tank will average about 44 miles per gallon or about 4.5 cents per mile at $2 per gallon or 9 cents per mile at $4 per gallon. Oil change every 10K miles for about $30. I put 230,000 miles on my last gasoline powered car and it cost $12,500 brand new in 2008. It averaged about 35 mpg for the life of the car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,058  
You are doing a lot of assuming. I did not spend much time driving at 55. I did spend a lot of time sitting in construction zones, fuming at the delays, with engine and a/c running but either stopped or barely moving. When not in a construction zone the cruise was set at either 75-77 or 82-83 mph, depending on the speed limit. Matter of fact, after the trip (3000+ miles) was over and I checked my GPS unit it told me at some point I had hit 93 mph.

But that's not the point I was trying to make. I was driving a truck that essentially has a 2000 lb payload, yet it was getting fantastic fuel mileage compared to any pickups I owned in the past.
I made no assumption whatsoever. You inferred MPG for 75 MPH but the evidence of your own trip odometer shows 65 MPH. Distance divided by time. Math Is Hard™.

I got 26 MPG in my F-150 at average of 63 MPH.

57ED3F5C-0D72-40AE-9C2C-16BCDAC3BF12_1_105_c.jpeg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,059  
55.8 MPH average, 29.5 MPG. 2018 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4 2.7EB 3.55:1 rear end. Edit: think I have a 23 gallon tank.

DB565309-0460-4F53-ABD6-3C3A79790B57_1_105_c.jpeg

Tesla Model S, Subaru Outback, F-150. I have most uses covered.
F40B0B7B-DE25-400B-9257-A892B1F21AA6_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,060  
Speaking of onboard MPG computers, i wonder how accurate they are. I've been too lazy to do the calculations myself.