Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,061  
Speaking of onboard MPG computers, i wonder how accurate they are. I've been too lazy to do the calculations myself.
Our 2003 Impala was quite accurate.
Our 2013 Impala is quite accurate.
Our 2003 Suburban DIC is broken. :ROFLMAO:

Driver Information Center.

Google it. I’m not making it up. :rolleyes:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,062  
Speaking of onboard MPG computers, i wonder how accurate they are. I've been too lazy to do the calculations myself.
My F-150 is usually 4% generous. Others have been 10% to 15%. Most accurate was my 2007 Prius at 2%.

It is hard to fill the gas tank exactly the same every time, especially if using a different gas station. The Prius would be 0% to 4%, consistent average 2%.

This is my F-150. The red triangles are actual miles divided by gallons. The grey triangle ghost line above is the in-vehicle claimed MPG. Red line is a running average of actual miles divided by gallons. This app is Road Trip MPG on iOS.

3C4DB80E-B03F-4A9F-B899-E421878051A9.png

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,063  
What’s nice with computer controlled fuel systems is it knows exactly how much fuel it’s feeding the engine at all times, and can easily make the calculations as to how much it has used when it compares that to its speedometer/odometer. The fuel gauge on our Impalas was always very accurate as to when it was going to run out. I really like it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,064  
We've owned and checked mileage on our Honda, Mazda, and Ford. All have been very accurate within 1 or 2% plus or minus. This is assuming the odometer is correct.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,065  
What’s nice with computer controlled fuel systems is it knows exactly how much fuel it’s feeding the engine at all times, and can easily make the calculations as to how much it has used when it compares that to its speedometer/odometer. The fuel gauge on our Impalas was always very accurate as to when it was going to run out. I really like it.
Yeah, but you still can't trust it without verifying. My ML320 and F-250 Powerstroke were outright liars.

There is a parameter in the Subaru Star dealer-only software for calibrating the MPG display. Ford placed same thing in an Engineering Menu accessible by difficult button sequences in-vehicle. Or of course one could use Forscan.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,066  
Yeah, but you still can't trust it without verifying. My ML320 and F-250 Powerstroke were outright liars.

There is a parameter in the Subaru Star dealer-only software for calibrating the MPG display. Ford placed same thing in an Engineering Menu accessible by difficult button sequences in-vehicle. Or of course one could use Forscan.
It’s pretty easy to verify. The car gets 29 MPG on the highway. It says we have 60 miles of range left. I put 15 gallons in, and it’s a 17 gallon tank. About 2 gallons left in the tank. 29x2=58. Pretty close. So I don’t verify anymore.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,067  
It’s pretty easy to verify. The car gets 29 MPG on the highway. It says we have 60 miles of range left. I put 15 gallons in, and it’s a 17 gallon tank. About 2 gallons left in the tank. 29x2=58. Pretty close. So I don’t verify anymore.
The way to verify is to divide the miles driven by the 15 gallons purchased. "Remaining miles" is a very rough approximate. Look at 2 examples I posted. 29 MPG estimated 620 miles on the tank, the 26 MPG estimated over 700.

There is a thermistor in most every tank for last minute warning independent of the fuel gauge. Those things are spot-on consistent. My Subaru takes exactly 16.0 gallons on idiot light, Yamaha 5.0 gallons. Noteworthy because each supposedly has 1.6 gallons remaining. Haven't run the truck down that far yet.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,068  
Yep, my two Subarus were off by a consistent 10%. 35mpg on the screen is actually 31.5mpg.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,069  
The way to verify is to divide the miles driven by the 15 gallons purchased. "Remaining miles" is a very rough approximate. Look at 2 examples I posted. 29 MPG estimated 620 miles on the tank, the 26 MPG estimated over 700.

There is a thermistor in most every tank for last minute warning independent of the fuel gauge. Those things are spot-on consistent. My Subaru takes exactly 16.0 gallons on idiot light, Yamaha 5.0 gallons. Noteworthy because each supposedly has 1.6 gallons remaining. Haven't run the truck down that far yet.
I know how to figure mileage. Fill the tank. Drive the miles. Fill the tank again. Divide miles by gallons and that’s MPG for that tank of gas.

But now that I’ve done that 3 times, and each time it was dead on to what the computer said it was, I no longer feel the need to verify. The Chevy computers are accurate.