Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,291  
Do the brake lights come on when you let off the go pedal???
Tesla’s brake lights come on when a set amount of deceleration happens. I love it. I drove a whole outing once without ever touching the brake. Pads and rotors last forever.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,293  
What only one pedal? How do you make a quick emergency stop as opposed to a rolling stop?
He is wrong. A BMW i3 fakes stronger regenerative braking by reversing drive to the motor at low speeds to bring the car to a halt. Regeneration can not produce significant braking at low speeds.

If the amount of deceleration by lifting the accelerator pedal is sufficient then one doesn't have to reach for the brake pedal.

Tesla's brake pedal is a pure conventional brake. Tesla's accelerator pedal provides whatever regenerative braking the motor is capable of honest regeneration. This quantity varies with temperature and speed. The car restricts regeneration when the battery is cold but restores when the battery warms up a few miles down the road.

Toyota Prius brake is a complex thing only the Japanese could pull off. A light touch starts regeneration, firmer application adds friction braking. Below 7 MPH regenerative braking is terminated for friction only. Amazing how smooth the transition, you would not notice on dry roads but it is very noticeable wet.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,295  
Tesla’s brake lights come on when a set amount of deceleration happens. I love it. I drove a whole outing once without ever touching the brake. Pads and rotors last forever.
And the other nice thing is the cartoon on the instrument panel showing when brake lights are being applied.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,296  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,297  
I got to drive an electric van for a while at my employer. I did not like the feel of letting off the accelerator pedal and instantly feel a braking effect. That is, it would not coast. I actually disliked it intensely.
Tesla has an option to disable it because many who only knew automatic transmissions do not understand.

Same thing happens on dirtbikes. A 2-stroker suddenly can't ride a 4-stroke worth a darn due to compression braking. So the manufacturers tweak the racing 4-strokes to minimize compression braking and invent things like slipper clutches to further eliminate engine braking forces.

I love compression braking on my 4-stroke dirtbikes. Is a critical component of my downhill technique. Sort of like having ABS.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,299  
LoL...Like I said I was asking for a friend...!

But now "I" want to know if the "accelerator pedal" also initiates regen braking...just calling it an accelerator pedal seems insufficient...?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,300  
Kind of like dropping into a lower gear with a manual or auto?
Yes in our car but a Tesla dual motor is like slamming the brakes on hard when you take the foot off the gas pedal with one pedal driving. Being use to our leaf driving the Tesla startled me when taking the foot off the gas pedal.