Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,324  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,325  
My 'taste' in cars revolves around one important issue and that is cheap.
Mine is reliable...

Only one new car ever bought... That was 21 years ago and still have but then I still have the $800 Plymouth I bought in high school and my daily driver for 20 years.

Only once did it fail... timing chain well over 200k miles but $45 in parts and a Saturday morning back on the road...

I only get rid of cars after I get my money's worth or if someone makes me an offer I can't refuse!

Rust never an issue...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,326  
Here, rust is always an issue, why my 1997 Ford F350 4x4 crewcab diesel sleeps all winter. Never been in the snow. Bought it new in 97, last new vehicle I ever bought. I buy all of them used, off lease now. Actually, my 14 Focus RS is holding up quite well as I rarely gets driven in the snow and salt either and if it does, it gets washed off underneath asap.
My wife bought a Ford Transit van new in 2010 and it's a rust bucket but it runs like a sewing machine so she keeps driving it. I figure when the frame breaks, will go to the bone. Besides, keeps her Suburban nice, it too stays in the garage in the winter.

Road salt is hell on any vehicle. Curious to see how the aluminum bodied Fords hold up. Aluminum rusts too... Just white rust, not red. The Fords are all 'glued' together with 2 part epoxy.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,327  

Sandy is negative on negative old men when it comes to the EV revolution.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,328  
I wonder how road salt and the 'brine' solution they spray on roads (which is CACL) will impact EV's in the long run with the battery packs underneath and I presume encased in sheet aluminum. The underside will be exposed to all the snow and ice melting chemicals. Aluminum does corrode (white rust) just like steel does.

Salt and brine is especially hard on electrical connectors, even Molex style connectors that have internal 'o' rings. All it takes is a very small leak and the salt will get in and corrode the contacts and salt and moisture is a pretty good conductor of electricity too.

Could be issues as the vehicles age. Very expensive issues...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,329  
People who claim they will never own a ev seem to enjoying imagining problems with them.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,330  
People who claim they will never own a ev seem to enjoying imagining problems with them.
No imagining at all. The reality of ownership and age. Use your head for something other than keeping your ears apart.....lol.