Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,351  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,352  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,354  
This guy does great teardown videos. I am finding the Prius impressive.

Ditto. He talks a lot but says a lot.

The original Toyota SynergyDrive is an unheralded engineering breakthrough. The PSD (Power Split Device) is a simple 3-input/output planetary gear set. The brilliance of the design is in using (2) motor-generators to control the torque and therefore the speed of the output. When little MG1 adds drag it transfers engine power to the wheels. MG1 drag generates electricity which can then be used by MG2 to drive the wheels or charge a battery. Marvelously simple, yet complex. There is both mechanical and electrical power paths operating at the same time.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,356  
Yeh, my wallet comes first too!

That is why I haven't put gasoline in the F-150 since February. No need when I have a perfectly good Tesla that costs 1/4 per mile as the ICE.
Do you haul your hay, livestock or tractor with your Tesla or are you one of those subdivision/city guys?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,357  
Ditto. He talks a lot but says a lot.

The original Toyota SynergyDrive is an unheralded engineering breakthrough. The PSD (Power Split Device) is a simple 3-input/output planetary gear set. The brilliance of the design is in using (2) motor-generators to control the torque and therefore the speed of the output. When little MG1 adds drag it transfers engine power to the wheels. MG1 drag generates electricity which can then be used by MG2 to drive the wheels or charge a battery. Marvelously simple, yet complex. There is both mechanical and electrical power paths operating at the same time.
So a Prius EV battery doesn't just depend on Regen only to recharge? The son and I were discussing this last night.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,358  

This 2010 Prius main battery is better than a Leaf battery for learn about the about traction battery technology and service. 44 pounds vs 650 pounds is one factor. :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,359  

This 2010 Prius main battery is better than a Leaf battery for learn about the about traction battery technology and service. 44 pounds vs 650 pounds is one factor. :)
I saw an article a while back that, while Toyota is late to the EV stampede, they hold more battery patents than any other company. Patent royalties are where IBM makes its money. Toyota learned by example.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,360  
Anyone with direct or indirect Prius ownership experience? I started looking online about 15 minutes ago and realized there are many names and numbers associated with Priuses in general.

My son in law is starting his 4th year of college working on a degree teaching English so he will be driving a great deal this semester and even more in the spring. The Pontiac G6 is coming up on 225K miles and is a visible oil burner.

I got a family lead on a high end 2010 Ford Edge with 99K miles for $6800 in a private sale but the first person to see it bought. One dealership had 2016 Ford Fusion with 90K out of Detroit for $15K. I am thinking about an older Prius with a battery with 3 years of functioning life left as an option.

There is no point in a plug in version. Daily mileage will be 50-125 miles.
Test drove a Fusion and hated it. I bought a Mazda 3 instead. I can get well over 40mpg summer driving. I've averaged 37.5 mpg over the 1 1/2 years I've owned it. It's a manual transmission that is very hard to find.

Last edited: