Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,521  
Russia and China aren't going to target nuclear plants in a nuclear war. They are small potato low value targets. They're going to target every major city, population center, and military installation, and that will be enough to end mankind as we know it, because we'll do the same to them.
While I agree that the nuclear plants are not big targets, if china/russia hits us, they're going all in, 500+ targets, which includes every city, military base, and a good deal of power plants. If they go all out, you probably won't have to worry about your proximity to a nuclear power plant because you'll be toast either way.

That said, I've lived next to a nuclear plant my whole life. I've enjoyed cheap, clean, plentiful, and reliable nuclear energy all my life. The idea of brown out's is a foreign concept to me. I've never been asked to turn off my AC or any other of that non-sense. If we are really serious about EV's, we need to get serious about nuclear plants. Modern technology plant design is extremely safe and efficient.

But what's more than that is they're a consistent form of energy, while solar and wind are definitely not. And if you have inconsistent power, you need to have a regular power plant running at full tilt to help it's fluctuations. So why not just run off the regular power plant (usually natural gas) to begin with? You are gaining nothing and losing everything with these large scale solar plants and wind farms.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,522  
While I agree that the nuclear plants are not big targets, if china/russia hits us, they're going all in, 500+ targets, which includes every city, military base, and a good deal of power plants. If they go all out, you probably won't have to worry about your proximity to a nuclear power plant because you'll be toast either way.

That said, I've lived next to a nuclear plant my whole life. I've enjoyed cheap, clean, plentiful, and reliable nuclear energy all my life. The idea of brown out's is a foreign concept to me. I've never been asked to turn off my AC or any other of that non-sense. If we are really serious about EV's, we need to get serious about nuclear plants. Modern technology plant design is extremely safe and efficient.

But what's more than that is they're a consistent form of energy, while solar and wind are definitely not. And if you have inconsistent power, you need to have a regular power plant running at full tilt to help it's fluctuations. So why not just run off the regular power plant (usually natural gas) to begin with? You are gaining nothing and losing everything with these large scale solar plants and wind farms.
To be clear, I'm pro-nuclear power. ;) So let's get that out of the way.

PA only gets about 4% of its power from renewables.
CA gets about 34% of its power from renewables.

Texas generates about 14% of all renewable energy in the U.S.

My home state, Indiana, has some of the worst air quality in the country. We are also one of the states that relies the most on coal to generate electricity.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,523  
Was right behind a Ford Lightning in McDonald's drive thru 7 am. Massive looking castings under the rear. Then at the closing on the 2004 Honda CV-R the owner showed up in a black two week old Mustang MACH E. Murray is starting to embrace EVs . :)

One of my son-in-laws has a Model Y Tesla with the performance pack. Unbelievable acceleration! He was driving from Murray to Mayfield to work which was about 50 miles round trip. Took him four gallons of gas. The same trip with the Tesla was $1 each way.

I can never see myself getting rid of gas powered vehicles. I can see having a minivan/larger SUV for vacations or hauling grandkids around. And also having a smaller SUV type electric vehicle for trips to the grocery, etc.. Would still need a pickup truck to haul tractor around. Though after we sell the second farm in September that won't happen all that often.

By the way, we will auction 80 acres in the Clarks River bottom east of Kirksey if you know anyone that would be interested. Message me and I will give you details and website.

RSKY

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,524  
One of my son-in-laws has a Model Y Tesla with the performance pack. Unbelievable acceleration! He was driving from Murray to Mayfield to work which was about 50 miles round trip. Took him four gallons of gas. The same trip with the Tesla was $1 each way.

I can never see myself getting rid of gas powered vehicles. I can see having a minivan/larger SUV for vacations or hauling grandkids around. And also having a smaller SUV type electric vehicle for trips to the grocery, etc.. Would still need a pickup truck to haul tractor around. Though after we sell the second farm in September that won't happen all that often.

By the way, we will auction 80 acres in the Clarks River bottom east of Kirksey if you know anyone that would be interested. Message me and I will give you details and website.

RSKY
We, too have the dilemma about EV and ICE. Currently, we have a 2013 Impala for road trips and my wife's very occasional need to go to her office in person, and a 2003 Suburban for hauling the trailer/tractor, etc. And a 2003 Sable, as a spare beater car, just in case.

For 90-95% of our driving, maybe even higher, an EV would work just fine. But we need to keep the Suburban. Once the numbers play out and it tips towards EV for us, we'll probably get one.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,525  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,526  
School Field trip to the Aquarium and one exhibit had a light bulb powered by an electric eel...

Always thought that was fascinating and wondered how many eels would be needed to power a house...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,527  
Our electric utility actively encourages more use of electric things. They give rebates for installation of electric hot water heaters. Also give rebate for purchase price of an EV charger — we will end up with a free tesla portable charger!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,528  
Was right behind a Ford Lightning in McDonald's drive thru 7 am. Massive looking castings under the rear. Then at the closing on the 2004 Honda CV-R the owner showed up in a black two week old Mustang MACH E. Murray is starting to embrace EVs . :)

Was telling youngest daughter about your post. Her husband has the Tesla. Said a co-worker of hers is driving the Lightning as a loaner while they work on his vehicle. She thinks the list price was around $90,000. I didn't think they were that expensive.

RSKY

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,529  
Was telling youngest daughter about your post. Her husband has the Tesla. Said a co-worker of hers is driving the Lightning as a loaner while they work on his vehicle. She thinks the list price was around $90,000. I didn't think they were that expensive.

RSKY
Like Tesla and other EV makers they typically only sell the highest margin EVs if demand is greater than supply. I heard only the 4 motor CyberTruck will be offered initially to help finance the rollout.

The doctors and lawyers seem to be the earliest buyers locally. I would not be surprised if the cheapest Lightning from Ford is $75,000+ for the next 5 years.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,530  
I really doubt if Tesla is going to be able to ramp the German factory as planned. People freezing to death this winter will leave a negative green image.