Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,021  
Subsidies to Big Oil, clean up costs for their environmental degradation, abandoned wells, spills, etc.
Long after the last personal ICE vehicle is on the road...they (oil companies) will still be drilling and pumping oil out of the ground, and refining it...
None of what you cite has a significant effect on infrastructure designed for automobile based transportation...!
Both EV's and ICE vehicles will be driving on asphalt (derived from crude oil) for a long time...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,022  
Subsidies to Big Oil, clean up costs for their environmental degradation, abandoned wells, spills, etc.
No way man. That would kill the fossil fuel industry!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,023  
If you can not utilize a solar roof to charge up your car's battery at the cruise terminal in two weeks I guess there will be a need for a charging valet station. Would you leave your Tesla key/fob with a valet with the guarantee of a full battery on the return from your cruise?
Can a valet even charge a Tesla?

Valet at DFW airport (red coats? Can’t think of company name), will charge EV, car wash, take to dealer for maintenance (EV or ICE)

Not terribly uncommon for valets to charge EVs now, especially at hotels.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,024  
Interesting. This sort of disproves the claim some have made that a home rooftop solar system would be sufficient to charge an EV. Looks like you'd need quite the solar farm on your property to generate enough for the car, let alone domestic use.

My typical charge is around 30-35kw or about 100miles worth of driving. (I’d venture to say most people’s average is less than that)

My 15kw solar system on a good day this summer. I’d like more capacity, but this is pretty much the largest on a single 240v/1 inverter. The solar that day could have charged my car 3 times for typical usage.

IMG_0441.JPG

Fully aware cloudy, cold winter days are not good producers… mine is a grid tied system, power goes back to the coop for the same price I purchase it for.

This system produces 20-22MWh per year right now. About 67,000miles at my current average of 313 watts per mile.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,025  
... This system produces 20-22MWh per year right now. About 67,000miles at my current average of 313 watts per mile.
Rough calcs: if similar car but ICE, 28 mpg, that's 2,860 gallons gas @ $4 = over $10,000.00 you didn't spend.

Plus some saving on 67k miles of while-you-wait oil changes.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,026  
For an accurate comparison you have to factor in price of EV, price of ICE, cost of charger and cost of electricity.
A friend recently bought a $50,000 Chevy Bolt, then $2,000 charger and electricity bill doubled.
Now compare a $20,000 ICE at 35 mpg. You've saved $32,000 from day one and electric bill $20-$30/week savings. Now EV not so appealing.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,027  
What a stroke of marketing.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,028  
My typical charge is around 30-35kw or about 100miles worth of driving. (I’d venture to say most people’s average is less than that)

My 15kw solar system on a good day this summer. I’d like more capacity, but this is pretty much the largest on a single 240v/1 inverter. The solar that day could have charged my car 3 times for typical usage.

View attachment 773539

Fully aware cloudy, cold winter days are not good producers… mine is a grid tied system, power goes back to the coop for the same price I purchase it for.

This system produces 20-22MWh per year right now. About 67,000miles at my current average of 313 watts per mile.

Where are you at? Missing in your profile. Solar is not viable here since our co-op pays very little for solar power to the grid.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,029  
For an accurate comparison you have to factor in price of EV, price of ICE, cost of charger and cost of electricity.
A friend recently bought a $50,000 Chevy Bolt, then $2,000 charger and electricity bill doubled.
Now compare a $20,000 ICE at 35 mpg. You've saved $32,000 from day one and electric bill $20-$30/week savings. Now EV not so appealing.
This is where im at too. Still too expensive to purchase the EV vehicle, and we have pretty cheap power. I don't know about comparing a $50K Chevy Bolt and your $20K ICE vehicle though. I bet you'd be better off fiscally, buying a $20K EV compared to a $100K ICE vehicle i know i would be, even if it doubled my electrical bill.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,030  
It sounds complex but interesting.

Last edited: