Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,241  
My BIL is a hard core snow sledder, and also would fit in with some of the people here. When 4-stroke snowsleds first came out he was adamantly against them, and for several years had nothing good to say about them. Then he rode one...
Now all that he owns is 4-stroke Yamahas. They're quiet, dependable and powerful.

Some of the posters here talking down about EVs remind me of my BIL.
Same thing among dirtbikers. They pretend their 2-stroke practice of new piston and rings at 70 hours applies to the 4-stroke. "OMG! You now how much a top end costs on that 4-stroke!" I have an idea, but my purchased-new 2003 KTM 450 EXC is only just now to the point I'm considering a valve job.

So we have the same thing here, ICE drivers pretend EVs must have exactly the same things as ICE: Gas Stations On Every Street Corner! It must go 500 miles non-stop! Etc.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,242  
Common sense says EVs are the cars of the future...but intelligence says certainly not using current battery / power technology...no emotionalism involved...!
I would not have ordered a model Y if I believed that.

It is there now, but will certainly Improve And advance in the Future.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,243  
Get real for pete's sake...geeze...!

If they fabricated data the Internet (soc. med.) would be ablaze...the only push back is by "fantasy world" zealots like yourself...!
Pay attention. The internet is "ablaze" with this viral fantasy report. Its even on Fox News and Fox Business (saw it on Varney & Co.)

Nonthinkers who believe God and Al Gore would strike anyone dead who posted false claims on the internet automatically believe anything with an impressive name and a .pdf.

Many have accepted it at face value but it is gathering ridicule because their claims do not hold water. Do not pass the smell test.

The very very simple fact is they did not provide their raw data and the bar chart for the "mostly home charging" costs showed less than 2/3rds electricity, a small sliver for taxes, and 1/3rd for "amortized charger or pump costs".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,244  
Pay attention. The internet is "ablaze" with this viral fantasy report. Its even on Fox News and Fox Business (saw it on Varney & Co.)

Nonthinkers who believe God and Al Gore would strike anyone dead who posted false claims on the internet automatically believe anything with an impressive name and a .pdf.

Many have accepted it at face value but it is gathering ridicule because their claims do not hold water. Do not pass the smell test.

The very very simple fact is they did not provide their raw data and the bar chart for the "mostly home charging" costs showed less than 2/3rds electricity, a small sliver for taxes, and 1/3rd for "amortized charger or pump costs".
Again...ONLY with fantasy world denizens who can't lose the rose colored glasses...geeze...!
funny not a peep out of manufacturers...speaks volumes...!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,245  
EV zealots constantly harping on the slight difference in cost per mile oven an ICE vehicle is so funny...but when they only have one thing to be proud of they tend to harp on it...!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,247  
They didn't even cherry pick data, they fabricated data.

They fantasize a "charger" (sic) costs $464/year, costs 1/3rd of the annual cost of fueling an EV. Never mind most EVs come with the "charger". About a year ago Tesla quit bundling the EVSE and started offering the Tesla Mobile Connector (note it is not a "charger") separately for $230.

The device they are referring to isn't even a charger. The EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) is a super smart and safe extension cord. All it does is deliver alternating current grid power to the onboard charger. The charger is built in to the EV because the needs of every EV battery is different.
Agreed.
the way it read seemed like they were suggesting replacing the wall connector and all cabling and associated wiring every year.
That is essentially double, triple, quadruple, dipping a non existent requirement.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,248  
I think Fuddy has gotten a "kick" out of his AMX.?

In The Youtube vid it Looked "Plenty" quick to me. No electric will Ever have the sound of that AMC V8 being shifted running the quarter mile- something to be said for a Visceral experience.

Maybe Fuddy can post a link to one of the quarter mile runs, I enjoyed it and just watching got my blood pumping.
Well...I was going to reply but SD455dan nailed it!
The Bugatti Chiron at $4,000,000 and 9.6 sec 1/4 mile is S-L-O-W!
I sold my car about 15 years ago for $6,500 for about what I had in it. I'll try finding pictures. In the meantime here's one very similar, except 406 vs 390. SS/B. Sounded very similar.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,249  
And you have more faith in the average human driver than I do.
Note: I said attentive driver.

If you don't think there are any, you must be one of them that isn't.

I don't need a vehicle to "correct" me. I'm in tune with the job at hand.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,250  
I recent years around here, they (the state and county highway departments) have been installing the rumble bar depressions on the centerlines of non-divided highways, as well as just over the white line on the right side of the right lanes. We've had an extraordinary number of either head-on collisions with people crossing center lines, or people running off the right side of the roads over the years. They're installing them with every repaying as they go along.

I've never hit the center ones through inattention, but I have hit the ones on the right side of the road. They snap you to attention instantly. Kinda makes me wonder how often I get to the side that I don't reailize. (You can intentionally hit them to give the kids simulated helicopter rides on the off ramps. Sounds just like it 🤣 ). I consider myself a pretty attentive driver, especially when there are other cars around. It's those roads where there is no other traffic when the mind seems to back off a bit on the attentiveness. I'm looking for deer and tractors.

I've found in the couple of cars I've driven with the lane monitoring, the steering wheel shakes if you get too close to either lane line, and instantly makes you more attentive. And, it happened more times than I thought it would have, even with my perceived attentiveness. So I'm going to assume that I get too close to the right lane line more often than I realize, just based on the few times the lane alert shook my wheel.

I don't mind that feature.
I totally understand your position.

My position is that we constantly wander within our lane. The question is when are we outside our lane? The rumble strip is designed to indicate our wandering slightly before we leave our lane. As it should be.

I have no memory of a time that the rumble strip saved me from running off the shoulder, or from hitting someone head on.

I think the point is the description of "attentive".