Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,922  
Ooops I think I did the math WRONG

Surprised another sharp eyed Tesla owner did not catch my mistake

The car actually did better than I gave it Credit for.

IT used 60% of the available charge
car was charged to 96%

The usable battery in a model Y LR or Performance is ~76 KWH
The total battery storage is rumored to be 82 KWH

It used ~46 KWH not 60 KWH...

~ 46 KWH X .116 = $5.34
$5.34 to go 190 miles

regular 87 octane at the cheap station is $3.75

so the Tesla worked out to a gas car going the same distance having to get 133 miles per gallon at the local price for gas.

It actually beat the Monroney window sticker stating 106 MPGe hiway !?..??

edit
That can't be right can it??
How do we know if it's right? It's your story. I have been told that everything on the interweb is true though.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,923  
How do we know if it's right? It's your story. I have been told that everything on the interweb is true though.

Hey, Iman, this is new to me as well since I have only had the car for just over a month. I was a bit tired when I originally posted the trip results.

A Gas or diesel car or truck is and has always been easy to figure if you just want the "total" fuel cost and it is under one full tank..
Fill the tank to full at your favorite gas/diesel station

Refuel to full at the same pump the same way.
Look at the total dollar amount when the pumping stops.

There is the trips fuel cost.

I was hoping for input from any "Actual" electric car owner on my KWH use MPGe math.
This really is new to me and since the company does not make it clear to me which number for KWH total to use, maybe doing a bit of guestimating.

Will cut you some slack, Anyone that has an Oliver 1850 has to be alright, especially if it is the MFWD.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,924  
Your good electric rates help. Nope, narrow front end. It was my dad's, when he died I wound up with it. We thought about getting one of those economical ev's but we just drive to work and back home these days with our hybrid suv that gets about 40 mpg. I do get the goldwing out occasionally for some touring at about 50 mpg.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,925  
Your good electric rates help. Nope, narrow front end. It was my dad's, when he died I wound up with it. We thought about getting one of those economical ev's but we just drive to work and back home these days with our hybrid suv that gets about 40 mpg. I do get the goldwing out occasionally for some touring at about 50 mpg.

Very Sorry about your dad passing.

The 1850- 1950 has always been one of my favorites

I had a chance to buy a 1967? 4x4 model about 4 years back

I also inherited one of my dads tractors when he passed as well so definitely get the sentimental aspect.

ps.
The ev is nice, but it will never have the beautiful sound of a well tuned engine.
Enjoy the Hybrid If GM had built an upsized Volt extended range AWD drivetrain in the Equinox body or similar SUV . I would have bought it.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,926  
The Leaf has a miles per kWh of energy used gauge in the dash. Typically it is 2.8 to 5.2 miles. Driving 45 MPH on relative level roads can give the 5.2 readout. 3.5 to 4.0 is more typical.
The Tesla hits the same 3.5 to 4.0 but its larger and heavier. If energy cost was the same for both the EV or ice, I would still prefer to pay for electric car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,927  
Refuel to full at the same pump the same way.
Look at the total dollar amount when the pumping stops.

There is the trips fuel cost.
Add $.01/mi if you do your own oil changes, or $.015/mile if you have them done at a garage. Either way, it doesn't bump the needle much. But since EV owners are always going on about the "maintenance" associated with ICE's, it helps to eliminate that argument.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,928  
Add $.01/mi if you do your own oil changes, or $.015/mile if you have them done at a garage. Either way, it doesn't bump the needle much. But since EV owners are always going on about the "maintenance" associated with ICE's, it helps to eliminate that argument.
Oh, maintenance is more than a oil change, owning a more premium ICE are not cheap, even the more ordinary car cost a lot in service cost, then you have cam belts, brake service etc.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,930  
Came to add something to the original today and it has been closed. Starting another. @Gale Hawkins

Found this today. Tesla has a prototype battery with 750 mile range. Now we are getting somewhere.

You started it 16 months ago. Turned a tractor forum into an EV circle jerk.

Over 8900 posts. 55 pagers of crap per month. And mostly the same verbal diarrhea over and over again. I see EV threads on the shooting forum I frequent but they die a natural death in 1-2 weeks. I wonder if this parasite will kill the host...LOL.

I stop in once a week or so to see if the madness has stopped but no.

I thought I really loved my guns and shooting but EV'ers are totally nuts. They keep needing to pat themselves on the back and telling everyone how smart they are. I bet their friends and family must be fed up so they need to post here.