Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,941  
I call BS on this. My last pickup was kept 12 years, and the only repair in that time was self-inflicted (off-roading damage). My current ICE's are 8, 7, and 3 years old, and zero repairs or ICE-specific maintenance has been required on any of them, other than oil changes.

Yes, they eat tires, wipers, and brakes... but so do BEV's. Regen braking has been argued to save on brake wear, but so does a sport mode transmission. If this were 40 years ago, I think your argument would hold more water, but other than the aforementioned oil changes, I don't see any ICE-specific repairs impacting the original owners on modern cars.

Subsequent owners may make a different argument, but that's a different discussion altogether, which will need to wait for a more aged fleet of BEV's to make any valid comparisons.
Did you factor higher depreciation and $8 a gallon gas for ICE? There are reasons 80% of new car sales are EVs in his country.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#8,942  
You have articulated the cause and effect so well !! Especially the last paragraph. Patting themselves on back ....and how smart they are. Now not all the EV owners here have taken that stance, but the OP and a couple others sure have.

You arent reading most of my posts if you think I am an EV proponent. I dont have an EV, probably never will. I have 5 diesel machines…dont even run gasoline! That said it doesnt mean I am not interested in the topic and learning about other viewpoints. Much like battery powered hand tools of today I do believe eventually we will move to EVs (once the technology is superior to ICE vehicles…this could be decades).

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,943  

One dealership had a couple Ford F-150 Lightnings but after discount are over 100 Grand.

Surely at some point there is going to be some good deals on the diesel and gas trucks.

It sounds like things are out there in the marketplace are worse than I realized.

Tesla dropping Model Y prices $16K makes sense now. They own all their cars and do not have dealers to push them off on and to finance the cars on the lots.

This might get interesting.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,944  
Did you factor higher depreciation and $8 a gallon gas for ICE? There are reasons 80% of new car sales are EVs in his country.
Gale!
You're at it again!!!!! I finally have you figured out...You're a good fellow who enjoys people spraying coffee or soda out their nose!
This was written 3 weeks ago...J.D.Power...
"Electric vehicles account for less than 1% of the 250 million vehicles, SUVs, and light-duty trucks sold in the United States. Because only around 17 million new cars are being built each year, changing the vehicles from gas-powered to electric will be a long process, especially as far as the government is concerned."
My wife & I have lots of cars & a truck. The most driven is a 2014 Hyundai Accent hatch.
We bought two alike, both 1 set tires, 1 battery, wiper blades, oil/filter changes...that's it. It costs less than $700/year to operate. We'll get rid by next year because that's when warranty runs out. 35 mpg average. Just a cheap little box that carries quite a bit.
EV advocates, simply say I bought what I liked. No one buys electric for intended purpose...saving the planet or saving money.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,945  
Not sure that's relevant at all to the conversation. @sd455dan's argument was that you could tell your total trip cost by reading the dollars worth of gas pumped from start of trip to end of trip, if you start and end on a full tank. The fact that I'm paying $3/gallon, or someone in Europe is paying $8/gallon, has no sway on the validity of his argument or my response to it.

But you are right, that if our fuel taxes were anywhere near what other countries endure, we'd have more interest in EV's. It will be interesting to see how these countries replace the tax revenue lost from fuel taxes, whether it's through taxing EV registrations or other sources.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,946  
Gale!
You're at it again!!!!! I finally have you figured out...You're a good fellow who enjoys people spraying coffee or soda out their nose!
This was written 3 weeks ago...J.D.Power...
"Electric vehicles account for less than 1% of the 250 million vehicles, SUVs, and light-duty trucks sold in the United States. Because only around 17 million new cars are being built each year, changing the vehicles from gas-powered to electric will be a long process, especially as far as the government is concerned."
My wife & I have lots of cars & a truck. The most driven is a 2014 Hyundai Accent hatch.
We bought two alike, both 1 set tires, 1 battery, wiper blades, oil/filter changes...that's it. It costs less than $700/year to operate. We'll get rid by next year because that's when warranty runs out. 35 mpg average. Just a cheap little box that carries quite a bit.
EV advocates, simply say I bought what I liked. No one buys electric for intended purpose...saving the planet or saving money.
I think maybe you misread his post and who he posted about.

What he said was true for the country where that person lives.

As for EVs in the world, 1 in 7 new cars sold in the world are EV.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,947  
The Leaf has a miles per kWh of energy used gauge in the dash. Typically it is 2.8 to 5.2 miles. Driving 45 MPH on relative level roads can give the 5.2 readout. 3.5 to 4.0 is more typical.
The Tesla hits the same 3.5 to 4.0 but its larger and heavier. If energy cost was the same for both the EV or ice, I would still prefer to pay for electric car.
But both are measured from the battery, not from the grid into the battery.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,948  
But you are right, that if our fuel taxes were anywhere near what other countries endure, we'd have more interest in EV's. It will be interesting to see how these countries replace the tax revenue lost from fuel taxes, whether it's through taxing EV registrations or other sources.
Is not just fuel taxes but all taxes plus government regulation. California has high gasoline tax but not enough by itself to double the national average cost per gallon. Same for Europe. Is the income tax, the business tax, the property tax, the tax on taxes, the cost of proving one is not guilty of violating regulations...

Taxes are recursive. Look up that word.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#8,950  

No wonder nuclear is dead.

There is some new work on much smaller scale reactors that can be built it in much less time. We will see if they make it to main stream production. Bumpy road, but its possible.