Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,951  
But both are measured from the battery, not from the grid into the battery.

I’m not sure how other brands compare, but I’m pretty impressed by the 95+% grid/battery efficiency over the past 55k miles in the Model 3 (according to TeslaFi at least)

My grid average per mile is 317 w/mi which is pretty impressive considering my pretty high speed commute (cruise at 83 for the majority of the miles)

Car usage average is 302w/mi

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,952  
There is some new work on much smaller scale reactors that can be built it in much less time. We will see if they make it to main stream production. Bumpy road, but its possible.

15-20 years ago Westinghouse supplied the design and was supervising construction on the latest generation modular nuclear power plant. The bulk of which was built in a factory then shipped to the site. China was building these as fast as they could.

Unlike anywhere else every one of these was being built to the same blueprint so if any design defect was found they knew it was in every plant. But also because if there was a design defect if dozens of plants were in operation the defect would be found sooner than if every plant was a custom unique design.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,953  
I would really like to see more investment in nuclear energy. Maybe that fusion thing will work out before I'm dead, but I doubt it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,954  
Our area is still in the running for this battery plant. I've got mixed feelings about it. However, the locals seem to want it. It'll be about 7-8 miles from my house. $3B investment.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,957  
I’m not sure how other brands compare, but I’m pretty impressed by the 95+% grid/battery efficiency over the past 55k miles in the Model 3 (according to TeslaFi at least)

My grid average per mile is 317 w/mi which is pretty impressive considering my pretty high speed commute (cruise at 83 for the majority of the miles)

Car usage average is 302w/mi
Watt-whats? Watt-minutes? Watt-hours? If you are using 317 watt-hours per mile, that's a big suck. No way that's power draw. You are not moving any car at street speeds with less than 1/2 hp.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,958  
But both are measured from the battery, not from the grid into the battery.

Sam is talking about EV efficiency. I get the Tesla edge but not why other manufacturers don't take efficiency seriously

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,959  
Watt-whats? Watt-minutes? Watt-hours? If you are using 317 watt-hours per mile, that's a big suck. No way that's power draw. You are not moving any car at street speeds with less than 1/2 hp.
Can you show your math how you came up less than 0.5 HP?

I need one kWh to normally travel 3.5 to 4 miles in the Leaf or Model Y

Are you computing how much the on board generator is putting back into the EV battery pack?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,960  

I just watched this news and it had a blip in about a Mercedes that gets 6 miles per kilowatt hour and they're going with a smaller battery pack. That would be 50% more efficient than the Tesla.