Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,322  
Cool. I guess now everyone can gas up from sunshine.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,323  
Bipartisan lawmakers introduce legislation requiring AM radios in new cars

Talking about a blast to the past. Not into radio that much especially AM. If it is EV or AM the radio can go. ;)
I’ve been driving for almost 35 years, and have tuned into AM radio maybe twice in all of those years, the last time being for traffic in the pre-smartphone decades. It adds cost, and for those still packaging it into the console rather than remotely, it takes space away from packaging other functions. Stupid.

How is it that our car manufacturers are allowed to sell us cars without spare tires, but not without an AM radio? Congress needs to get their heads out of their ass, and focus on more useful things.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,324  
Cool. I guess now everyone can gas up from sunshine.

Actually this really sounds Great.

Hope they can massively scale it up at a workable cost.

This line does give me pause though.

"the technology is still at laboratory scale"

but, Hope they can get the scale up.

IT Really would be the Perfect answer for long term use of combustion engines and also completely cover any hard core push back from the we need a Motor Law crowd.

I am All for this Technology being developed.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,326  
I’m interested to see how towing pans out on these first-generation BEV trucks from Ford and Rivian. It will be a deciding factor in my next truck purchase, as I do a lot of weekend towing, between a firewood trailer, moving tractors, and hauling boats. Commercial guys will have their own metrics, but the recreational (~7000 lb) tower creates a scenario that I’m concerned too many automakers might ignore.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,327  
The range cut in half when towing anecdotal reports keep popping up.

I made a side trip yesterday to another TSC for some fencing wire in the Leaf with cruise set on 65 MPH and it really dinged the range. If the Cybertruck reports a 50% towing range hit I will just take the 50% rule as being typical.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,328  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#9,329  

This is irony for ya. When someone in the US buys an EV and trades in their gas vehicle, some that cant be resold in the US are stripped of their emissions equipment (cat converters, etc) and sold to Africa. No emissions standards in Africa, so these vehicles pollute far more than they did in the US…making global carbon emissions go up. Of course this could also happen with a trade in on a new gas vehicle as well.