Battery minder on a generator ?

/ Battery minder on a generator ? #21  
I just had a whole house Generac installed last August. The owners manual states that the charger is integrated with the control module and operates as a smart charger. There is a warning to not use external battery chargers.
Make sure to check water in your battery every 6 months.Mine boiled out on my generac after 1 1/2 years.From what my installer told me after the fact the smart charger keeps a constant charge going to the battery.Don"t know that for fact but I now check my battery water every 6 months.

/ Battery minder on a generator ? #22  
Our portable generator came with a minder built in. Just plug into wall outlet when shore power is on. I disconnected it when we were moving and forgot to reconnect. Then had to start the gen with the pull cord.... I am a fairly able bodied 47 yr old man. Seems like it should have been an easy task. No way SWMBO could have done it. It sits with the charger plugged in 100% of the time now.

if the battery minder was not built in I would certainly have one.

/ Battery minder on a generator ? #23  
Make sure to check water in your battery every 6 months.Mine boiled out on my generac after 1 1/2 years.From what my installer told me after the fact the smart charger keeps a constant charge going to the battery.Don"t know that for fact but I now check my battery water every 6 months.
. Thats not true. The newer (2013 on) generacs use a smart charge system that shuts off after battery is charged. Not sure about othet brands. My own generac is 1-1/2 years old and i just checked battery last week.....all good. I know some of the older generacs had charger issues with over charging.

/ Battery minder on a generator ? #24  
. Thats not true. The newer (2013 on) generacs use a smart charge system that shuts off after battery is charged. Not sure about othet brands. My own generac is 1-1/2 years old and i just checked battery last week.....all good. I know some of the older generacs had charger issues with over charging.
My 17kw generac is about 7 years old maybe mine has the over charging issues? Thanks for the Info..