BATWING OWNERS: How do you have your hydraulics set up?

/ BATWING OWNERS: How do you have your hydraulics set up? #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I have often entertained the idea of some day getting a batwing. I have 3 sets of rear remotes. My dealer told me I didn't really need that for a batwing but I could basically spool the two wings to be controlled with a single remote. But I kind of like the idea of using a separate lever and remote to control each wing and a 3rd to raise and lower the deck. Just wondering how some of the batwing owners have their hydraulics arranged and if there are any words of wisdom. Thanks.

/ BATWING OWNERS: How do you have your hydraulics set up? #2  
You CAN put both wings on one circuit. I have them on seperate circuits.

/ BATWING OWNERS: How do you have your hydraulics set up? #3  
Most batwing mowers including my Jd, have one set of hydraulics to raise both wings. Jd has a kit that allows both wings to be raised individually by using 2 remotes. The kit just consists of more hoses and disconnecting the "T" that currently splits the single hose to each side. This could be done to any batwing mower. Just buy some extra hydraulic hose, a hose coupler and a few connectors. I can't see a big advantage to have each wing being operated separately. I can't raise one wing and mow with the other down unless I disconnected one of the wing pto shafts.
I do have float position on my hydraulics for the wings. It is needed with Jd to get enough movement in the wings. It is less needed for some other manufactures.

/ BATWING OWNERS: How do you have your hydraulics set up? #4  
The Rhino and Bush Hog brand mowers I have bought all came with the hoses for 3 set of remotes. I have always only had 2 sets, so I have always ended up buying a T and tying the wings into one circuit. I have seen ads claiming that these mowers can cut with 1 wing at 90 degrees up. Personally I'm not comfortable watching the blades spinning around in the up position so I've never tried it.

/ BATWING OWNERS: How do you have your hydraulics set up?
chh said:
The Rhino and Bush Hog brand mowers I have bought all came with the hoses for 3 set of remotes. I have always only had 2 sets, so I have always ended up buying a T and tying the wings into one circuit. I have seen ads claiming that these mowers can cut with 1 wing at 90 degrees up. Personally I'm not comfortable watching the blades spinning around in the up position so I've never tried it.

I wouldn't want to do that for other reasons. . .like the amount of stress that would be placed on the driveline joint. I don't think those are CV joints. The advantage that I could imagine with the wings operated independently would be if you were approaching an obstacle (ie rock) and without slowing much just lift that one wing, go over the rock, then lower it without missing a beat. Of course I have no experience and that's partly why I started this thread.

/ BATWING OWNERS: How do you have your hydraulics set up? #6  
Glowplug said:
I wouldn't want to do that for other reasons. . .like the amount of stress that would be placed on the driveline joint. I don't think those are CV joints. The advantage that I could imagine with the wings operated independently would be if you were approaching an obstacle (ie rock) and without slowing much just lift that one wing, go over the rock, then lower it without missing a beat. Of course I have no experience and that's partly why I started this thread.

My batwing doesn't have CV joints.. so i for sure wouldn't want to lift one wing, while on the go ( mowing ).. to clear that rock... my manual states what a safe maximum angle range onthe wings are.. If it were me.. I'd lift the entire deck to miss the rock... and I'd only do that once.. as i'd move the dang rock when i was done with the field... Just dump it on the deck after the last pass before you head to the barn..

My JD 1517 uses 2 remotes.. one for the deck lift, and one for both wings..

soundguy

Soundguy said:
My batwing doesn't have CV joints.. so i for sure wouldn't want to lift one wing, while on the go ( mowing ).. to clear that rock... my manual states what a safe maximum angle range onthe wings are.. If it were me.. I'd lift the entire deck to miss the rock... and I'd only do that once.. as i'd move the dang rock when i was done with the field... Just dump it on the deck after the last pass before you head to the barn..

My JD 1517 uses 2 remotes.. one for the deck lift, and one for both wings..

soundguy

That's probably a safer and better way to do it. But I wasn't talking about lifting the wing 90 degrees but more like 10-15 degrees, just enough to clear a small obstacle. I would imagine the wings could and would flex that much when mowing on uneven terrain and not put much stress on the driveline joints.

/ BATWING OWNERS: How do you have your hydraulics set up? #8  
Glowplug said:
That's probably a safer and better way to do it. But I wasn't talking about lifting the wing 90 degrees but more like 10-15 degrees, just enough to clear a small obstacle. I would imagine the wings could and would flex that much when mowing on uneven terrain and not put much stress on the driveline joints.
My JD is ok to go 45 degrees in the raised postion and 22 degrees in the down postion. Probably similar for others.

/ BATWING OWNERS: How do you have your hydraulics set up? #9  
I've mowed with mine at 90 deg for a short period of time. Rhino specs out at 90 deg up and 22 deg down.

mlauk said:
I've mowed with mine at 90 deg for a short period of time. Rhino specs out at 90 deg up and 22 deg down.

I don't know if I'd do that but for a VERY short time at best. But I have heard of some of the guys mowing the right of way for the highways with one wing straight up before.:eek:

But what about the question at hand? How do you guys have your hydraulic arrangement?