BCS 722 PTO with front attachment won't engage

/ BCS 722 PTO with front attachment won't engage #1  

Busy_Dad

Tractor
BCS 722 and 1953 JD MODEL 40
I recently picked up a sickle mower for my BCS 722 at auction. I haven't used a front attachment with PTO before on my tractor, and after moving the handle back over the motor, the locking mechanism is still engaged preventing me from using the sickle mower. Is there some pin or other mechanism that might be seized preventing the PTO from working with a front attachment?

Any help is much appreciated!

/ BCS 722 PTO with front attachment won't engage #2  
Hi Busy_Dad ;)

As no owners of a BCS 722 have come forward to offer their help, I decided to try to help - although my tractor is a BCS 740. A quick look at this page from BCS America seems to indicate that the controls of the two tractors are rather similar though.

https://www.bcsamerica.com/product/model-722

As you have been working with your tractor in the rear-PTO mode only, you are used to push the PTO-handle forward when you want to engage the PTO. When you are in the front-PTO mode, you have to pull the PTO-handle back towards yourself to engage the PTO. I know it might sound a bit trivial, but could that be your problem? One way to remember whether to push or pull to engage the PTO, ist to remember that the „vertical“ PTO shift arm always has to move towards the tractor to engage, and away from the tractor to disengage.

As you turned the handlebar to the front-PTO mode, you of course also turned the PTO-handle and the gear-handle as well. As you turned the PTO-handle, the PTO shift arm will rotate 180 degrees as well, making the red PTO lockout face away from the tractor. In this position it cannot prevent the forward-reverse mechanism in engaging the PTO. When working in the rear-PTO mode, the PTO lockout will face towards the tractor, preventing the PTO to be engaged when reversing.

I know that all of the above might sound obvious to members who are using their tractors in both modes, but if you have been used to push the PTO-handle to engage the PTO for years, it might be easy to forget that you now have to pull. Standing next to the tractor all the above is easy to see and explain, but a bit difficult to explain in writing.

I don’t want to sound condescending, and if the above was to obvious I do apologize, as it should be straight forward to switch between the two modes.

Best regards

Jens

/ BCS 722 PTO with front attachment won't engage
Jens thank you for replying. I have done all you have suggested, and I have read the manual multiple times and watched several videos and everything seems to point that it should just work, but mine isn't. 😡 The mechanism that blocks the PTO from engaging in 3rd gear or in reverse, is still blocking me even after converting the tractor for a front mounted attachment. Is there something inside the tractor that is supposed to change how that mechanism works when switching between the two modes? I am planning on calling BCS tech support but I need to wait for a day off when I can call them while I'm home. If they help me I'll post their solution.

/ BCS 722 PTO with front attachment won't engage #4  
Hi again Busy_Dad ;)

Switching between rear- and front-PTO modes, is literally a matter of seconds on these tractors, as one only has to turn the handlebar, the gear lever and the PTO lever 180 degrees, and you are ready to go. I am very puzzled that it does not work for you :unsure:

There are no hidden pins anywhere, and the only thing that can prevent you from engaging the PTO, is the little PTO lockout on the PTO shift arm. This lockout is black on my tractor, but if your tractor is similar to the one on the mentioned page from BCS America, it is probably red. As you have been working with your tractor in the rear-PTO mode, you have had the handlebar and the gear and PTO lever above your implement. In this position the red PTO lockout face towards the tractor, thereby physically preventing the PTO from being engaged, when reverse is selected. This is a safety feature, preventing your feet from being run over by a reversing tiller for instance.

In the front-PTO mode, the handlebar and the 2 levers are above the tractor, and is this position, the PTO lockout will face away from the tractor. - This is very important, as with the little lockout in this position, it has no influence on the reverse mechanism, and the PTO can be engaged in both forward and reverse.

Please dobble-check the position of the PTO lockout! Make sure that the PTO lockout is probably fixed to the PTO shift arm, and that it rotates as described above when you rotate the PTO lever through 180 degrees.

The lower end of the PTO shift arm is directly connected to the inner parts of the PTO mechanism in the tractor housing, and on tractors that are used only in front- or rear-PTO mode, there is a risk that the shift arm will stick, and be difficult or impossible to rotate when needed. Try to rotate the PTO lever back and forth between the 2 modes, and make sure that the shift arm rotates freely. - Or even better, make someone do it, while you keep your eyes on the PTO lockout ;)

I apologize if some of this was a repetition of me first reply, but I can’t get this problem out of my head. If possible, it would be very helpful if you were able to show a few fotos of the PTO lockout in its 2 positions.

I cross my fingers that you can get this problem solved, so you can use your sickle bar mower :)

Best regards

Jens

/ BCS 722 PTO with front attachment won't engage
BCS has a technical document that talks about the PTO getting stuck and not rotating as it is supposed to. I used some penetration spray and got it to rotate and I was able to successfully use the sickle mower.

Jens thanks for your responses.