Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in

/ Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in #1  

Gatonakos

Tractor
bcs
Hi all,i just bought a Bcs 740(Honda Gx390) and i would like to ask what is the right method for run-in the new engine,transmission,tiller....the first hours.
Thank you all.

/ Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in #2  
Congrats. Sorry I cant help with your question, have you tried the owners manual.

Please post pics when you can.

/ Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in #3  
As you get time to run it some let us know what you think of it. What you like and don't like. Hope it serves you well

/ Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in #4  
Congratulations Gatonakos - I wish you a lot of fun with your new "toy" ;)

Honda doesn't recommend any special run-in procedure in my owner's manual, other than changing the engine oil after the first 20 hour of use.

BCS recommend you to replace the oil filter after the first 30 hours of work, and to check the oil level in the gearbox.

I haven't changed my oil filter yet, but reading the BCS quick guide, I get the impression that you can actually change the oil filter without changing the gearbox oil. It sounds a bit odd to me, but perhaps some of our more experienced members can tell us?

Like you and I, most engines likes to wake up slowly, and BCS also recommend you to leave the engine running for a few minutes after starting it, allowing enough time for the oil to reach the moving parts.

Best regards

Jens

/ Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in
Thank you Jens.
I hope we both enjoy the machine and waiting for some more experienced members advices
Good luck.

/ Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in #7  
Good video showing it moves as fast as most people walk in 3rd. The 749 with the 6.5x12 wheels and tires is even faster. The most important run-in items as with most equipment is getting the proper operation and feel for the controls for everyone who is going to operate the tractor. Changing the transmission oil filter after 30 hours is no different than most hydraulic driven mowers. The filter is there to catch any fine wear-in metal particles as the gears initially mate during the first few hours. The is not designed to hold them in suspension like engine oils so changing the oil is not required. BCS lowered the price on the oil filter to $10.94 I am told. At least this is the reported price of the filters on the next shipment.

Demo'ing the 739 and 749 at the shop makes the handling of the 853 seem heavy. The 749 with the Kohler diesel with a 30" tiller and quick hitch is about a perfect balance at least for my tastes. The 6.5x12 standard wheel and tires really benefit from having the fixed wheel extension. I wonder how many more I can get!!

/ Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in #8  
Hi again John :)

Approaching my first oil filter change, I just want to play it safe, and not have 2.6 liters of transmission oil running down on my garage floor :ashamed:

Do I understand you right, that I can change the oil filter without the oil leaking? That is what the manual indicates, but again "better safe than sorry" - thanks!

Best regards

Jens

/ Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in #9  
Hi Jens,

That is my understanding as well but I haven't changed a filter yet either. My Zeroturn Mower with hydraulic drive to the wheel motors had only the oil in the filter run out and it wasn't much. With the pump stopped there should be little oil run out.

/ Bcs 740 powersafe first run-in #10  
Hi again :)

I've now past the first 30 hours of work on my BCS 740, so it was about time to change the oil filter for the first time.

As this thread has been very quiet for some time, I will like to tell about my experience changing the oil filter today.

It really is as easy as I hoped, and was done in 1/2 hour all inclusive. For easier access to the filter, I jacked the tractor up and removed the left hand wheel (mower mode). And yes - the only oil that ran out, was the oil trapped in the filter :thumbsup:

Sadly the price of the oil filter seems to be much higher over here, as I paid 23.86 Euro ($31.34) for an original one :( incl. VAT.

Best regards

Jens

Last edited: