Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder

/ Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder #1  

Underdog57

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
I am looking at the bearcat sc5540 chipper tonight. Quick thoughts, is a good used one worth $900. Don't have much time to decide, help please??? Thanks

/ Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder #2  
$900 is a steal, I paid 2k barely used with the blower.
As long as it's not used up I'd say buy it.

Matt

/ Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder #3  
Sounds like a great deal. I would move fast. Bought my Bearcat with blower used for 1k and thought I did great. Let us know how you made out. Good luck!

/ Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder
There is no blower on it, is it still a decent price?

/ Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder #5  
I have seen that model new for 3-3.5k, so I would say $900 is a great deal if it is in good shape. I have heard guys complain about not having a blower because they have to move the tractor when the pile gets too much. That being said, if it were me, I would pull the trigger on $900 for the minor inconvenience(go with cash in your pocket and offer less....ya never know) .

/ Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder #6  
You may be able to add the blower. I looked online and the CH45540 has no discharge chute so it will create a pile at your feet forcing you to move the machine all the time? This is less desirable? I would call a dealer and tell him the model number and see what your options are before you buy. 900 is a steal.. if you get it knowing you can purchase a chute and fan option for several hundred bucks its still a steal?

Best of luck.

/ Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder #8  
I watched Craigslist daily for well over a year for any kind of PTO chipper/shredder. I was hoping for a Wallenstein but a Bear Cat 5540 came up and I bought it. Glad I did too. I suggest you move fast, they don't stay for sale very long at any price.

/ Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder
Thanks for all your help guys, got it for $800. It appears to be in real good shape, the seller ran some 2-3 inch scotch pine through it and everything looked good! The big bonus was it was only 3 miles from my house! I'm not sure if the PTO is long enough for me to use the quick hitch on it yet, probably won't have time to mess with it for another 5 days. :(:(

image.jpg

/ Bearcat SC5540 Chipper/Shredder #10  
5 days!? That blows.

I made a little alteration to mine so the quick hitch would work with it.

080703_1522[00].jpg