Bearing removal

/ Bearing removal #1  

homebrew1

image.jpg

The bearings on my old ww shredder went out. Im trying to figure out how to get them off the shaft
The set screw on the outside collar is loose. I assume this collar is separate from the main bearing and housing with the flange that attaches to the shredder body. A small propane tourch to heat up the collar has hasn’t had any Effect. What am I missing?
Thx

/ Bearing removal #2  
Tap it back further if possible then get some emery cloth to clean the shaft then lubricate the shaft and then try to pull it off.

/ Bearing removal #3  
The lock collar must be turned to unlock it from the bearing, a drift and hammer should be able to turn it. It only takes a little bit of movement to loosen provided it is not rusted tight to the bearing. If all else fails someone good with a torch can cut it off and not hurt the shaft.

/ Bearing removal #4  
As per John0829 the outer collars is a lock collar/ cam lock affair. Should right hand tight, left hand to loosen. If not rusted as per John0829 the collard should come off easily. Now you still have the bearing to remove/ inside race is generally a slip fit but probably rusted on. Clean off the exposed end of the shaft, a little heat and maybe a puller, if not a torch to get housing and outer race / ball bearing off/ then grind and split inter race. After you get this apart you will have your own experience /method for the next time you need to do this type of repair. Later

/ Bearing removal #5  
Yes clean the shaft couple brass wedges enough to get puller on or slide hammer.

/ Bearing removal
Thanks
I was ( finally) able to gGet the collar off with heat, Dremel tool and chisel to pop it off. There was no locking mechanism.
I took the outside cover of the bearing off and saw the race had broken

still working on getting the bearing and housing off

I see that the shaft is goobered up. Is that going to cause problems?

image.jpg

/ Bearing removal
Everything’s off. Thanks for the tips 😃

/ Bearing removal #8  
There was no locking mechanism.
That collar was the locking mechanism.
As mentioned in Post #3 & #4 the collar is an eccentric cam locking device.
There are several threads on TBN already discussing this.
Also Google is your friend.
Learn how the eccentric concept works to ensure your reassembly is successful.

/ Bearing removal #10  
Take a WIDE file and run it over the shaft to be assure you have no ridges at the groove. You do not want to remove any material from the shaft that was not deformed from the groove that is visible.

Be sure you lube the shaft to give yourself every possibility of pulling the bearing off successfully. It would be ideal if there was enough play in the shaft to tap the shaft inward toward the bearing and hopefully create enough room to get behind the bearing with a puller or wedges. If you cannot get free play in the shaft do not hammer on it as you may damage the bearing (if there is one) at the other end.

Patience is your friend here.