Beavers !!!!!!!!

/ Beavers !!!!!!!! #11  
Just spitballing here but what constitutes something as “damaged” and a “nuisance”when it’s local wildlife in their natural habitat?

My guess is whenever it messes up the owners plans or projects for their land.

MoKelly

/ Beavers !!!!!!!! #13  
Just spitballing here but what constitutes something as “damaged” and a “nuisance” when it’s local wildlife in their natural habitat?

My guess is whenever it messes up the owners plans or projects for their land.

I'd say when they drop a tree on your house OR when their dam raises the water enough to flood your basement or the road.

You all know that they are classified as RODENTS.
Now I ask, do you live trap mice and rats and relocate them?
So why relocate a beaver?

/ Beavers !!!!!!!! #14  
I'd say when they drop a tree on your house OR when their dam raises the water enough to flood your basement or the road.

You all know that they are classified as RODENTS.
Now I ask, do you live trap mice and rats and relocate them?
So why relocate a beaver?

No different than killing termites infesting your house or groundhogs in a horse field.

No relocation. Eradication.

MoKelly

/ Beavers !!!!!!!! #15  
No different than killing termites infesting your house or groundhogs in a horse field.

No relocation. Eradication.

MoKelly
I use to enjoy relocating them, but haven't done it for years. A 330 works great for the job, and the fur check usually was just enough to pay for my gas.

I always find it ironic when people start talking about "In their natural habitat"... so am I. I don't want to eradicate any species, just strike a balance so that we can coexist.

To the OP: what are you trying to keep them from doing? if you just have some ornamental trees you want to protect some heavy hardware cloth around the stems will do the trick. If they are building dams where you prefer they wouldn't, the above mentioned 330 works wonders. If your in Alabama, here's what they suggest for beaver. How To Get Rid of Beavers

Or from this site:Alabama Nuisance Animal Control | Outdoor Alabama
Nuisance Wildlife Regulation
Alabama game and fish regulation 220-2-.27 allows for permits to take protected wildlife causing crop damage, property damage, or concern for human safety.

A property owner or tenant is allowed to take one squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, opossum, beaver or skunk per incident that is causing damage to their property without a permit.

Property and Crop Damage
Wildlife Damage Permits are available to people experiencing damage to property by feral hogs or other wildlife. Contact your local Conservation Enforcement Officer or local Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries District Office for more information regarding this permit.

If you choose to apply lead poisoning, please keep in mind what happens when a bullet hits water.

Last edited:
   / Beavers !!!!!!!! #17  
My family has done battle with the evil beaver for many years. Traps work for a while then they get wise to them. Three years ago we trapped five. The next year we trapped two or three. Last year I had one that was trap wise so I unplugged the culvert very early in the morning to drop the water level and my Dad and I waded out to the house in the late afternoon. I took a long stick and poked the house and Dad shot the beaver when he came out.

They are back this year and so far have avoided traps and I have tried wading to the house twice with no luck.

My Grandfather and likely my Great Grandfather then my Dad spend years trying to get rid of them. Now it is my turn. My problem is there is a several mile long bottom above and below my land that is stair stepped with beaver dams. I am in the middle of the bottom and the bottom divides my land. To get to the back of my land I have to cross a levee. The beavers plug a drain pipe and a culvert and then the road washes out.

I can manage to get rid of them for a few months then more move in.

I wish you the best.

/ Beavers !!!!!!!! #18  
I thought I got rid of them year before last. Lo and behold, they were back last week. As East30 stated above, they do quite a bit of damage. I make a little break in the dam and wait for them to come investigate. A .243 with scope works well.

/ Beavers !!!!!!!! #20  
I have beavers that live in my pond. They had dammed a small drainage that feeds the pond and it flooded about 4 acres of land in a couple feet of water. This was not acceptable. I decided as a first step before attempting eradication I would install a beaver deceiver, Clemson Leveler in the dam to dewater the area. Most people scoffed at it saying there is no way to beat the beavers. Well it worked, they never remade the dam. The area still stays wet during the winter but there is no longer standing water 9 months out of the year. Luckily the beavers do not damage the trees in my bottom land. I am not sure what they are eating but I never see beaver damaged trees.

All that being said, I will trap a few out of there one of these years. I would like to have a beaver felt fedora made from my own home grown beavers.