Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ???

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ??? #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I have a trailer I use in the woods. I want to put some side boards on it and use it to TOSS blocked-up and/or split firewood into. The bed is only sheet metal so it will take a beating. It is less than an 1/8" thick, 0.104 or 12 gauge actually. I was going to use a piece of plywood as a shock absorber and cushion on the bed. But I am wondering if one of those 3/4" thick stall mats they sell at TSC would be better and worth the extra money. Or maybe there is something better. What do you think ??? It gets cold here in the winter. Well below zero F if that matters. Thanks!

P1170978.JPG

gg

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ??? #2  
I think the stall mat would stand less of a chance of bouncing out when the trailer is empty and moving.

Any wood that I can pick up and toss won't be too heavy. How much damage are you thinking it would do? Or are you are related to Paul Bunyan

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ??? #3  
I use this product in my 6' x 12' dump trailer:

Black PolyMax HMWPE Rolls - FarmTek

The 1/4" thick sheet protects my 1/8" steel bed from rocks, logs and other debris when loading with the tractor. It is also very slippery and nothing sticks to it.
It's pricey though and may be more than you want to spend.

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ??? #4  
Go to a car/up truck dealer and see if you can get and old bed liner

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ???
Any wood that I can pick up and toss won't be too heavy. How much damage are you thinking it would do? Or are you are related to Paul Bunyan

Well, based on what the unlined steel bedded p/u's used to look like when used that way to get firewood I would say it would get stoved in pretty good. I'm no Paul Bunyan but I can lift a 30 or 40 lb block up over the side of a trailer and let it drop 3 feet. Do that a few times and some serious hollows can develop. But you got me thinking - maybe I baby my stuff to much.

gg

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ??? #6  
I can completely understand why you don't want to ding that smooth bed on your trailer. If you already have sheet of plywood - try that first. Need more - get the horse mat.

Whether that trailer has a dump feature or not - with a smooth surface like that - unloading dirt/gravel is easy. Smart to try and keep it smooth.

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ??? #7  
Good point, I never thought of slick, smooth and good looking.

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ???
I can completely understand why you don't want to ding that smooth bed on your trailer. If you already have sheet of plywood - try that first. Need more - get the horse mat.

Whether that trailer has a dump feature or not - with a smooth surface like that - unloading dirt/gravel is easy. Smart to try and keep it smooth.

Thanks !!! I hadn't thought of that. It is a dump trailer.

P1150079.JPG

I have modified it to add the stake pockets so I can run it flat bed and am in the initial process on the side boards.

P1170954.JPG

gg

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ??? #9  
Try the plywood first. Screw or bolt the corners if needed. It’s probably way lighter than the rubber mats. The rubber mats would not be my first choice on a dump trailor. If you do use them then figure out a good way to handle the seams. I am also thinking the rubber mats might cause more rusting than the plywood. Also not sure on the reaction of the rubber mats to severe cold since its does not get that cold here in Oklahoma. They probably would last longer than the plywood though.

/ Bed Protection for Firewood Trailer ??? #10  
My dump truck bed takes a real beating. It’s probably 1/8 inch. It’s pushed in between the cross members but doesn’t have substantial dents. I think the plywood would be better if you were worried about it.