Beginner at gas welding

/ Beginner at gas welding #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Old setup, oxy regulator is no longer made and is unrepairable. Going to replace both units.

What's the difference between different brands of regulators? I see ads for Victor, Smith, Harris, etc types. Will any of them work on any tanks?

I see ads for new regulators for cheap prices--made in China? Any good?
Also there are ads for Smith, Harris and Victor, new at good prices. Also made in China? Again, any good?

Anything I need to know before buying?

Thanks

/ Beginner at gas welding #2  
Only regulators I've used is Victor Journeyman. Even on the job site, all we got were Victor Journeyman.

Attachments

• Victor.JPG
    Victor.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 101
   / Beginner at gas welding #3  
You generally get what you pay for. I would stick with a well know brand. Just my opinion.

Your regulator will need to match the threads on your tanks. Most, maybe all, welding OX tanks have a CGA-540 thread and use that size regulator. The Acetylene tank could be CGA-200, CGA-510, Or CGA-520 thread depending on the tank size. You will need to get the right regulator or an adapter.

gg

/ Beginner at gas welding #4  
You generally get what you pay for. I would stick with a well know brand. Just my opinion.

Your regulator will need to match the threads on your tanks. Most, maybe all, welding OX tanks have a CGA-540 thread and use that size regulator. The Acetylene tank could be CGA-200, CGA-510, Or CGA-520 thread depending on the tank size. You will need to get the right regulator or an adapter.

gg

I bought a "Smith" set many years ago.
Still have the set, though I never seem to use it.
Excellent quality then.
Don't know anything about present day quality though.

/ Beginner at gas welding #5  
Sadly Victor no longer offers the big SR450 regulators. They were replaced by the questionable Edge series. It was a major duty reg that was used by the pro's. Smith is only assembled here now and the Watertown S.D. plant is closing this year.There are a lot of options out there for torch sets and the problem with them is they last too long. Most are good quality and use common tips. Gas apparatus is far from rocket science but can be deadly if mis-treated. I always wondered why more explosions didn't happen with oxy-fuel but as long as you get something that's UL listed and a set of flash arrestors I'm sure you will be happy.

/ Beginner at gas welding #8  
You can't go wrong with Victor,Smith is great to but a little more money and not compatiable with other tips. Be very carful that you don't buy a set thinking it is Victor when in truth it is only compatiable with Victor tips. There are no repair parts available for knock off regulators.

/ Beginner at gas welding #9  
I've had this company rebuild a few of my regulators, did a good job at a fair price. They sell new and rebuilt equipment, if you call and tell them what you want to do they can probably help you make a choice. At least you know they'll fix it if anything is wrong.