Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #21  
In a former life, I worked with a team who twisted RR cars back into aliment with heat and lots of force. With that experience, I'll stick with my 1st suggestion. :unsure:
o_O :rolleyes::unsure:

Last edited:
   / Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #22  
As a novice, I'm not quite sure what 'Gouge rig' means. Doing a search, it seems like some type of welding approach?
Here's what I think is a good explanation of arc gouging.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #23  
We have a Kioti CK30HST with a KB2375 backhoe. The other day, the bottom pin for the boom fell out, and lots of damage occurred. Right/left swing hydraulic pistons busted (and have since been repaired), but the current damage is the bent upper pin.

I'm looking for some advice as to how to repair this. I have a sledge hammer. :) but not sure that's the right approach. One thought I had was to heat up the top portion and then give it some gentle whacks. Another thought would be to simply cut off the bent portions, have new ones made or straighten out the cut off pieces, and then weld the parts back on.

Would love to hear other thoughts. Thank you!!!
As a life long but now retired professional welder I would use a Bessey style C clamp ( the sliding bar style) and a heating tip. Clamp it at the tip and start heating and tightening as it starts to move. This in not a major repair but a half hour job.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #24  
I like the Panamaguy approach. I do not see the value of cutting a notch. If heated in the right area and gradually increasing the clamping force you should be able to straighten the plate without doing so much damage. You are unlikely to get as good a weld (and as strong a structure) by doing fresh welding at home...and unless you are an expert welding/fabrication guy you'd really be better off letting a very experienced shop do it for you.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #25  
long heavy pipe, slide it over it and pry it if possible. otherwise use your FEL with a fork mast and pry down on it. Heating it might take the temper out and make it weaker. Harbor Freight shop press last resort?

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #26  
We have a Kioti CK30HST with a KB2375 backhoe. The other day, the bottom pin for the boom fell out, and lots of damage occurred. Right/left swing hydraulic pistons busted (and have since been repaired), but the current damage is the bent upper pin.

I'm looking for some advice as to how to repair this. I have a sledge hammer. :) but not sure that's the right approach. One thought I had was to heat up the top portion and then give it some gentle whacks. Another thought would be to simply cut off the bent portions, have new ones made or straighten out the cut off pieces, and then weld the parts back on.

Would love to hear other thoughts. Thank you!!!
I would use a big clamp and heat. Heat the top plate only and tighten the clamp to get it straight enough to remove the pin. Take the boom off so you can get to it to fix it properly. It looks like the bottom side plate is still straight. The boom side can be straighten with heat and hammer. Look over for cracks and weld if needed. You may have to weld gussets to both plates if there is room to add strength back into the metal. Anytime you heat and bend that much the metal will weaken. Throw the old pin away and replace with a new one. If you are not a good welder get someone who is to do the welding.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #27  
Rosebud tip on your torch will put a lot of heat over a larger area. That can be reshaped like it's made of butter, easy with the right tip on the torch. It's tough to cherry up a larger area of thick steel when your trying to use a burning nozzle on a torch. If that is all you have, try and make it work. But the rosebud is the way to go. Bending it cold stresses it. Heat it good and you'll stress it very little.

Rosebud tips on Amazon

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #28  
Rosebud tip on your torch will put a lot of heat over a larger area. That can be reshaped like it's made of butter, easy with the right tip on the torch. It's tough to cherry up a larger area of thick steel when your trying to use a burning nozzle on a torch. If that is all you have, try and make it work. But the rosebud is the way to go. Bending it cold stresses it. Heat it good and you'll stress it very little.

Rosebud tips on Amazon
The issue with larger rosebud tips is that can draw acetylene faster than a single bottle can safely supply. Not a problem with propane fuel gas, however.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #29  
The issue with larger rosebud tips is that can draw acetylene faster than a single bottle can safely supply. Not a problem with propane fuel gas, however.
I've never ran to any issues, but I do run unusually large TW size tanks, 350 CU/FT. My buddy works at a gas tank filling station and got me the tanks free, I had to pay to have them sent out to be pressure tested and refurbished with new paint and valves. The nice thing is that they last forever being that I am not a business, the bad thing is that when I need them filled... it costs an arm and leg. I am about due to have them sent out again for the 10 year recertification.