Bent The Front Grille Guard On A LS MT342

/ Bent The Front Grille Guard On A LS MT342 #1  

KCTractors

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS MT342, Case 530 CK, , Ford 2000, , Ford 8N
I was carrying a ramp with the tractor and the chain unhooked. The ramp fell on the top part of the bumper and bent it back far enough so that I couldn't open the hood on the tractor.
I hooked a strap up to the top of the bumper and to my Moline 602 and pulled it back. I was going to add another plate on the pumper mount but I see the mounting plate is bent out a little on each side. It almost looks like it was made that way, but I think that it's bent.
Would somebody look on theirs and see if the mount for the bumper is straight across or does it have a wiggle on each side.
I would take the bumper off and straighten it and put another plate on it to reinforce it.

/ Bent The Front Grille Guard On A LS MT342 #2  
That seems to be a fairly common occurrence on LS Grille Guards. I bought mine with that same bend from the prior owner & have read a few others on here with the same issue. LS must undersize the attachment plate/use inferior steel/or both combined with the leverage from top of the guard. Common fixes are 1) beat back into shape, weld in reinforcing metal to the attachment, or shim to fit the new alignment. I beat it back & will weld in reinforcement metal one day when I have some spare time.

/ Bent The Front Grille Guard On A LS MT342
I was carrying a ramp with the tractor and the chain unhooked. The ramp fell on the top part of the bumper and bent it back far enough so that I couldn't open the hood on the tractor.
I hooked a strap up to the top of the bumper and to my Moline 602 and pulled it back. I was going to add another plate on the pumper mount but I see the mounting plate is bent out a little on each side. It almost looks like it was made that way, but I think that it's bent.
Would somebody look on theirs and see if the mount for the bumper is straight across or does it have a wiggle on each side.
I would take the bumper off and straighten it and put another plate on it to reinforce it.
I reinforced the bumper and added the old Cat grill screen.

Attachments

• IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 75
   / Bent The Front Grille Guard On A LS MT342 #4  
Good thing you had the guard, lest that have been your hood!

/ Bent The Front Grille Guard On A LS MT342 #6  
That's why it's called a grill guard. Nice looking repair job. I had my grill guard immediately upgraded on my new tractor. Sticks, stobs and limbs have a nasty way of finding your grill, radiator or battery.
IMG_0016.jpeg