Best Bass out of my pond so far

/ Best Bass out of my pond so far #11  
WOW ! Nice Fish. I love Bass fishing, they really put up a good fight.

Agreed. I've dreamed of tarpon fishing but I'm so old now I doubt I could handle them.

/ Best Bass out of my pond so far #13  
Now that's a real nice bass. :thumbsup: Congrats to you young lady.

/ Best Bass out of my pond so far
Nice fish! How big and deep is your pond?

Thank you. When full, it's a bit over 4 1/2 acres. Right now it's down about 3 feet and I'm guessing that I'm closer to 4 acres of surface water. When full, the majority of the pond is 6 to 8 feet deep, and the deep end is 12 to 16 feet deep with a large hole that I dug that's over 20 feet deep. The hole is probably 30 by 60. I just dug it as deep and as big as I could with my backhoe in the bottom of the deep end. I also have four submerged islands that are around 50x50 that are in the deep are that come up to about 4 feet under the water with 4 to 6 foot drop off along the edge of it. Then there are 3 large stump and log piles spread out to create safe places for spawning and good hunting for my bass. The goal was to make it the best habitat that I could for the bass.

Here is a picture from last year when the water was overflowing the dam. One of these days I'm going to build a bridge over the dam.

52599329_10218637057540311_4321027074492989440_o.jpg

/ Best Bass out of my pond so far
Nice bass for sure ! :thumbsup: Did she get it on a plastic/rubber worm ? My favorite is 7 1/2 " Culprit in purple or black .

We like using worms because of all the vegetation growing in the pond. Texas rig with watermelon colored worms seem to work the best, but sometimes plumb works better. I tend to change colors more then my wife, but she catches three times as many fish as I do, so it's not the color of the worm as much as technique. She just has a way of it.

/ Best Bass out of my pond so far #16  
Wow, that put a smile on her face! Lucky you to have a dam like that. Mine is about 40 feet across and hasn't had any water in it for about 10 years now due to the drought. Only thing that bred in it was cane toads and lily pads but those days are gone.

/ Best Bass out of my pond so far #18  
Thanks for the pic Eddie. Nice catch!!!! Glad she's fishing!!!!

/ Best Bass out of my pond so far #19  
Thank you. When full, it's a bit over 4 1/2 acres. Right now it's down about 3 feet and I'm guessing that I'm closer to 4 acres of surface water. When full, the majority of the pond is 6 to 8 feet deep, and the deep end is 12 to 16 feet deep with a large hole that I dug that's over 20 feet deep. The hole is probably 30 by 60. I just dug it as deep and as big as I could with my backhoe in the bottom of the deep end. I also have four submerged islands that are around 50x50 that are in the deep are that come up to about 4 feet under the water with 4 to 6 foot drop off along the edge of it. Then there are 3 large stump and log piles spread out to create safe places for spawning and good hunting for my bass. The goal was to make it the best habitat that I could for the bass.

Here is a picture from last year when the water was overflowing the dam. One of these days I'm going to build a bridge over the dam.

View attachment 626280

Thanks for the info Eddie. That is a really good looking pond! It takes some water to produce that quality of fish.

/ Best Bass out of my pond so far #20  
That's awesome Eddie! I remember reading about you building the pond in 1 of my probably top 2 most gripping threads on TBN (other one is the sad outcome of MDBARB's property dispute). Also remember your top-notch gazebo build which has weathered very nicely into the landscape now. I bet you're very happy to see the fruits of your labor these years later.

I started the process of breaking open the dam on my small pond I built some years back after reading about your pond build. I learned about the core trench from you. Mine has held up to some very major storms and years of enjoyment, but I have now got more neighbors and small children running wild around our area and I am planning to pump mine the rest of the way down this winter and push the dam and other spoils back in. I already have cut into the dam from the backside and pushed it in about a 10' section to drain it down about 3 feet to original grade already.

Recently, we went through a very dry spell and my pond evaporated a lot with no rain especially with me already taking about 3 feet out of it from the dam height. I built the dam originally with many spoils from digging the rest and had two large piles of dirt left over that I gave to a neighbor years ago. I've been thinking I won't have enough dirt now to fill this thing back in and that I would probably need to buy a couple triaxle loads of fill, but as the level was so low recently, I've realized the runoff has filled in a shocking amount of my original dig.

I originally dug this 8.5 feet deep at the middle with mostly a steep walled bowl shape (3 feet on the dam end is above original grade), but no joke, about 2/3 of my total volume of dig has filled back in with dirt and gravel fines from our neighborhood road. I bet my center is now no more than 2 feet deep (after the 3 that is out already), but the rounded walls are now a very slightly sloped V. Amazing what nature can do and you don't even realize it.

Instead, now I'm predicting I will have excess spoils after filling this all in.