Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #11  
NICE HOOSTERGUN!

They say point men in Nam often choose a 12 gauge. That says womthing right there.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #12  
I'd feel very comfortable with a 22LR semiauto, either a pistol or long rifle. Pistol would be easier in an enclosed area. Ammo is relatively in expensive, so you'll be more likely to practice shooting and getting comfortable with the weapon.

Or M2 and you don't have to worry about what's between you and what your shooting at. Not to mention it's very very loud. Joking

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #13  
.22 (rimfire) semi is too likely to jam up/misfeed. Not something I would trust for life/death.

Friend (years ago) had to have a SPAS 12 (because the terminator had one lol) . Remember he got a tiny bit of dirt in the bbl and blew off the choke! Do they still offer that in the USA or the Street Sweeper?

Some kind of wheel gun may be best for an unaccustomed shooter. Safe, reliable and no safety to deal with. Just point and squeeze the trigger. I have always wanted a .22 revolver. For the caliber, they give off quite a crack with a short bbl. Ruger makes a nice self defence one.

Last edited:
   / Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #14  
Mossberg 590 A1 w/ Knoxx Breachers grip gen III. Forend light and red laser dot. I can handle it with the pistol grip and it hanging on a sling and both hands holding it. I have it loaded with slugs and .00 with 9 pellet loads.

Works just fine for me, and yes, I have logged time in a tactical shot gun class and 25 hours on the range with it.

Again, my preference - like previous posts say - whatever you are comfortable using, and don't brandish it, if you aren't going to use.

Pick

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #15  
Really all depends on where you live and your neighbors and how close they are.. In the city or next door neighbors I'd go with 12 gauge with number 6 shot, double barrel coach type with hammers, nice and quiet. Since I don't have close neighbors my primary is a mosin nagant carbine and 182 gain shells.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #16  
I have a Mossburg 500, with different barrrels, but really always wished I had an R 870. The 500 always struck me as a cheap budget SG. Mix up some nice Malaysian (sp?) loads.

My biggest concern for family members is them being afraid to discharge the weapon for fear of recoil, noise, effect/consequences, whatever.
For recoil, muzzle blast, ect; consider a 9mm carbine with 16" or 18" barrel. More power then pistol, better sites, very low recoil, fun to shoot.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #17  
may have to put this on a wish list, saw one in Florida gun shop years ago

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #18  
Can a spear gun avoid any of the current laws, hurtles and possible future confiscation?
Just read an article tonight that Japan is considering a ban on crossbows because they've had some murders with them. They've outlawed most guns there a long time ago. I think it said there was one(1) gun murder in all of Japan last year. It was an interesting read on their culture.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #19  
They are even outlawing the sale of air soft guns here that replicate military firearms.

Hardly much matters anymore. Storage requirements for guns and ammo make it impossible to have a firearm "legally" ready for use.

Last edited:
   / Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #20  
..Some kind of wheel gun may be best for an unaccustomed shooter. Safe, reliable and no safety to deal with. Just point and squeeze the trigger.

I agree with this and to take some of what the others mention, use bird shot.
Consider a S&W .357 Magnum 4" revolver with Snakeshot! It's simple, reliable, easy to maneuver and the round won't go through the walls or at least not very far.

This is what I have for one station (Just one isn't enough :) ), the first 2 rounds are snakeshot, rounds 3-5 get more serious in case the 1st 2 weren't enough, they are hollow point self defense rounds.

Then there are a couple speedloaders loaded and ready.