Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #21  
In my opinion, the best self defense gun is the one you are most comfortable with and that you are going to shoot enough that it is second nature.

That gun for me is my Springfield XDM in a 9mm loaded with good ammo. It holds 20 rounds and I have put thousands of of rounds through it. It is reliable and I like how it feels.

I have quite a few more to choose from but the XDM is my go to.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #22  
When we got married we bought a Hi Standard 9 shot 22 revolver with a short barrel. It has both a .22LR and a .22WMR cylinder. It's about as simple as you can get. No safety. No slide to rack. Can't jam. Etc... my wife found it very comfortable to use. A .22 magnum is also very loud. It's a really sharp CRACK!

Years later, out of the blue, my in-laws mentioned they had a pistol that they had never used and asked if I wanted it. I never knew they had it. Well, it's a Hi Standard 9 shot 22 revolver, but with a long barrel, and it's only .22LR. But still, they are a nice pair of revolvers.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #23  
I agree with this and to take some of what the others mention, use bird shot.
Consider a S&W .357 Magnum 4" revolver with Snakeshot! It's simple, reliable, easy to maneuver and the round won't go through the walls or at least not very far.

This is what I have for one station (Just one isn't enough :) ), the first 2 rounds are snakeshot, rounds 3-5 get more serious in case the 1st 2 weren't enough, they are hollow point self defense rounds.

Then there are a couple speedloaders loaded and ready.
I like that. Snakes or intruders all in one. Wonder if snake shot would kill varmits, like ground hogs, rabid raccoons?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #24  
Will if you are close enough. I got the S & W Governor for just that, lots of options of what feed it too.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #25  
Everyone has their favorites, Mossberg 500 is hard to beat. But Winchester 1300 or Remington 870 are all good guns. Effective and depending on where you live will determine the proper load. I am a fan of No. 4 Buck. 9MM semi autos have their place as does the 38/357 revolver for some people. There is NO best. Such a concept does not exist. There is only "best for you at that location under that circumstance."

Consider that if you had to shoot someone in your home, you will be giving up some of your hearing. And I mean forever. A suppressed 9MM pistol might be considered "best" from that standpoint. But not all states allow suppressors, though most do.

If I had to choose between Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 (again both good guns) I would choose Mossberg 500 for several reasons, including ease of loading and unloading, and ease of finding its ambidextrous, larger safety. It is also built by a company that is still in business.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #26  
The shotgun is a very handy weapon IF u can get to it..
I chose the 22 revolver Velcro’d under my living room coffee table..
The wife was afraid that she wouldn’t have the strength to slide load a semi..& that’s why we went with a revolver..in a fight or flight situation..(Home invasion)
Just pull the hammer back & letm fly..

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #27  
There is nothing scarier to a home invader than a 12ga pump being racked while they are crawling around in the dark.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #28  
Revolver. Wad cutters. Paint tips red so perp can watch his life threatening missile roll into place. No brass flopping around on the floor. Double action. Need to be able to step around a corner wall and capture the element of surprize. Long gun is too awkward, likely to get taken away at very close range. Operates one handed. Everybody has seen the movies. Practice the confrontation and you will know what to do and no-one will get hurt or die.
Outside, take their wallet / ID. Tell them to leave and pick it up at the police post or sheriff' office. You'll never see them again and they tell their 'friends' to beware and stay away.
Works every time. Plus you need to 'set one off' occasionally so you train your neighbors and curiosity seekers to move-on.

You need to have several tools around the property because you won't be expecting trouble when it arrives. Hard to have them wait while you retrieve your piece.
No piece, no peace.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #29  
When we got married we bought a Hi Standard 9 shot 22 revolver with a short barrel. It has both a .22LR and a .22WMR cylinder. It's about as simple as you can get. No safety. No slide to rack. Can't jam. Etc... my wife found it very comfortable to use. A .22 magnum is also very loud. It's a really sharp CRACK!

Years later, out of the blue, my in-laws mentioned they had a pistol that they had never used and asked if I wanted it. I never knew they had it. Well, it's a Hi Standard 9 shot 22 revolver, but with a long barrel, and it's only .22LR. But still, they are a nice pair of revolvers.
I have owned a HI Standard 9 shot .22 revolver for approximately 50 years

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #30  
I like that. Snakes or intruders all in one. Wonder if snake shot would kill varmits, like ground hogs, rabid raccoons?
Even if it doesn't kill them, they should at least vacate the area is my thought.

Here at the house skunks are the biggest concern. Both labs have been nailed once somewhere in the back yard over the last year or so, I never knew before how bad an actual skunk spraying was! The first one happened at night and the lab came back inside through the doggie door and OMG!

I also have a SIG in .40S&W and the first 2 rounds in it are snakeshot and that's what I have taken out in search of these white striped devils but yet to catch one. I also have it on my hip when I'm at the deer lease since the cameras have shown there to be big cats, hogs, skunks, opossums and other wild life.