Best fuel additives

/ Best fuel additives #31  
I have used biobor JF and JD fuel conditioner for a few years now with no problems.

/ Best fuel additives #32  
I have used biobor JF and JD fuel conditioner for a few years now with no problems.
Does it come with a MSDS warning label (as required by Federal Law if it contains a biocide). If it don't, it don't. Simple as that.

No warning label = no microbial biocide.

/ Best fuel additives #33  
I think that some of us who are low volume users with 5 gallon containers, and in areas that have extreme temps both over 100 deg F and even below zero temp have to be concerned with stored diesel that can gel in winter or have microbial growth from long term storage. Then there is also the advantage of Cetane Boost (as to spending money) and Lubricity that is suppose to be helpful. Each sistuation is somewhat unique to address.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Best fuel additives #34  
I have used none for decades.

/ Best fuel additives #35  
A little shot of bio couldnt hurt, little isoprop too in the fall before cold weather.
I manage a small fleet that worked in cold weather, they worked all year but winter was really where its at. The trucks were stored warm which really helped but when it was brutal every once in a while a fuel problem and first thing everyone wants to rush to the store and start gushing fuel gell which wasnt really the case. A little water can go a long way at 0. Truck came out of the shop at 50 but dont take long to chill right down. A couple years after I left they got a boy wonder and he gonna come up with a master service plan after an event which is gonna solve it all but was rourtine when I got there, become fixed for a while then come back.
In the fall while its still warm I walk around with a can of bio and give each a shot, we use station fuel there and look in tanks to start when they are low, then dump couple cans dry gas in, run another tank of fuel thru and change the filters. NEVER have another problem.

/ Best fuel additives #36  
I dont know about low sulpher, new engines are designed for it, spose some lube couldnt hurt. I am not sure how much difference the fuel (maybe someone here really knows) if its trumatic to old Roosa Masters, most I see stopped are outright broke as well as worn, even fix the worn and they work sooooo,,, but,,,,,

/ Best fuel additives #37  
Then my own use was high, some a 1000 hrs all this was a bigger problem than 150 with 1/2 being utility. Got a bud uses skids in a feed lot, has rotating Mexicans driving them. New ones have engine monitors and even no grease type joints. Starters last forever, then never got to work except for monthly oil change.
I think he said 4 units full time with a 5th as spare and service alternate.

/ Best fuel additives #38  
Hey, my FX235 yanmar runs on red diesel and a little southern comfort.... ;)

/ Best fuel additives #39  
What is the best diesel fuel additive for an old tractor?

Just make sure the fuel is fresh and put in a container that is clean and free of water. Most of the issues that people use additives for are an attempt to remedy one of more of those issues, or an attempt to fix a starting or running problem on the tractor that isn't related to the fuel itself (such as worn rings, worn seals/gaskets, a worn or out of time injection pump, worn/defective injectors, worn battery, worn starter, corroded or loose battery cables, worn/defective glow plugs, etc.)

Modern diesel fuel is different from previous diesel fuel. Since 2010 all diesel fuel, including off-road (red) diesel is ultra-low sulfur diesel with less than 15 ppm sulfur. Red diesel is simply on-road (clear) diesel with a red dye to mark that you didn't pay road fuel tax on it. From 1993 to 2010, there were different allowable sulfur levels in on-road vs. off-road diesel, but not since then. Sulfur in on-road used to be as high as 5000 ppm in 1992, in 1993 that was lowered to <500 ppm, and in 2007 it was lowered to the current standard of <15 ppm. Off-road was limited to <3000 ppm in 1993, <500 ppm in 2006, and <15 ppm in 2010. Diesel fuel must meet certain ASTM lubricity standards to be sold as diesel fuel and ULSD is no exception. ULSD does require additives to meet this that regular diesel did not, but those additives are added prior to the fuel being sold, the user of the fuel doesn't need to add anything to the fuel for it to meet specs.

Last edited:
   / Best fuel additives #40  
fuel additive is only required in the winter in my opinion especially if using red diesel.