Best Glue for Metal to Glass?

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I have a sliding window in my camper and I broke loose the aluminum handle that lets you slide the glass back and forth. The old glue was black and rubbery when I sliced it off the glass.

Anybody have a recommendation for a strong metal to glass glue? There is a 1/32" or so gap between the bracket slot and the glass so I'm thinking that a rear view mirror glue would not fill the gap. :confused:

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #2  
I have a sliding window in my camper and I broke loose the aluminum handle that lets you slide the glass back and forth. The old glue was black and rubbery when I sliced it off the glass.

Anybody have a recommendation for a strong metal to glass glue? There is a 1/32" or so gap between the bracket slot and the glass so I'm thinking that a rear view mirror glue would not fill the gap. :confused:

Why use a spacer to fill the gap. Then mirror glue should work or there is an instant glue that is suppose to glue most everything.

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #3  
black P/U windshield glue / sealer.

sold in caulk tubes at napa and carquest, etc...

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #4  
LOCTITE Stick'n Seal ORIGINAL Waterproof Adhesive.

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #5  
it sounds like the "glue" you cut out was silicone. Do not use a urathane or butyl . The big box stores do not sell com/industrial silicones ( GE 999) . you might try a 3m double face tape/or glue that is UV (blacklight) activated . Try a local comercial glass shop, for the ammount of silicone you need they might just do it for next to nuthin..?
AK9

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass?
it sounds like the "glue" you cut out was silicone. Do not use a urethane or butyl . The big box stores do not sell com/industrial silicones ( GE 999) . you might try a 3m double face tape/or glue that is UV (blacklight) activated . Try a local commercial glass shop, for the amount of silicone you need they might just do it for next to nuthin..?
AK9

I actually think the original adhesive was urethane. It was black and rubbery when I sliced it off the glass with a razor blade.

Good idea on the glass shop.

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #7  
I have built aquariums using Lexel adhesive. It can hold more than the glass it is attached to. It comes in a tube at most hardware stores.

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #8  
it sounds like the "glue" you cut out was silicone. Do not use a urathane or butyl . AK9

why not use a urethane?

it's what seals yer windshield..... and sounds exactly like what was removed...

soundguy

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #9  
I have built aquariums using Lexel adhesive. It can hold more than the glass it is attached to. It comes in a tube at most hardware stores.

I agree this stuff will stick to about anything if it is clean and will provide a good seal. It has the smell of model air plan glue I remember from child hood. Not that I sniffed it or anything:confused2:

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #10  
If it is a small handle, thoroughly remove the old adhesive, and use a rear view mirror adhesive kit, from an auto parts store.

That will give you the strongest bond.