Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer.

/ Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

Over the years I've hauled great quantities of items in enclosed trailers and many hauls and quantities of items in open single axle trailers. But now my intentions are to acquire an open trailer capable of hauling my Massey GC1715 scut for local movements, and for the occasional 250 mile round trip needs. What is different in all these years of hauling compared to the new infrequent hauling desire - is I'll be hauling a single item utilizing most of the payload weight.

Obviously all my many inch wide grasp and ratchet straps are limiting. So I had planned on acquiring several 2 inch ratchet straps to do the fastening and securing to the trailer.

However I notice that often on TBN it is mentioning chain fastening and tightening activity. And I'm wondering if there is any requirement to use chains? I fully understand that compact tractors or above are much heavier and less close-to-the-ground equipment than is my scut. Obviously chains are strong but so are 2 inch ratchet straps for my size needs.

Any reason why I would choose chains instead of heavy ratchet straps for a scut sized unit (fel, mmm, 3 pt trailer mover - no backhoe or large 3pt. implements) ?

/ Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer. #2  
My opinion is if you don't do a lot of hauling, ratchet straps are fine for a smaller tractor. The problem with them is they wear and can get cut. I consider a 250 mile trip to be a pretty good distance, but straps will do the job.

/ Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer. #3  
2" straps is the only thing I have ever used in the 24 years of garden tilling with my 2305 and 2720 Deeres. I cut 4 of them down to fit my rig. I figure there is no use in dealing with an extra 15' of strap on every corner. If you need some long ones to haul brush, buy a couple more, they are on-sale quite often for less than 10 bucks.

/ Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer. #4  
I have always used heavy duty ratchet straps. They work well and are very strong. Also are easy on the tractor paint. That being said I do worry at times about the strap ripping or tearing especially if it is over a edge. I do not feel two straps is enough. I feel 4 straps is a better way to go. Remember It will be OK until it isn't.

/ Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer. #5  
I use 2 inch car hauling straps for much of my trailering. Chains are often very hard to use on compact equipment-few places to secure to the tractor, mower, etc. without damaging the paint. I prefer to use a chain/binder when possible, but have hauled my equipment (SCUT, CUT, ZTR) for the last 20 years using primarily with straps without a problem. They do need to be replaced occasionally.

Will

/ Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer. #6  
I use a combination of chains and ratchet straps for my tractor. Chains with binders at the rear, but ratchet straps on the front because they are easier to deal with when the front loader/bucket is in the way. As long as both are properly rated for this use, I don't see a problem with either.

/ Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer. #7  
It pays to know the rules and how they are enforced in your state/jurisdiction. US DOT rules adopted by all state codes are not enforced equally at the state/local areas. What may be adequate (sensible) may get you a ticket when the state bulls are out on saturation patrols. State truck enforcement seems to be different depending on who is violating. Those who have full time duty doing truck enforcement tend to be more hard nosed and less lenient. Truck driver attitude plays a big part in whether you get a warning or a ticket. This is based on discussion with a State Patrol Officer friend that does nothing but truck enforcement. He told us once that when he stops a truck/trailer (private or commercial) if he really looks he can always find a mechanical problem if nothing else. He will overlook some items not creating an eminent safety problem with just a warning if the driver is courteous and it goes up from there. He is death on CDL log books though, all the time. I will not repeat DOT rules as this subject gets a lot of feedback here on TBN. I have heard Canada is extremely tough on small trailers and pickups/motor homes from the US. Working brakes on the towed unit are one of their pet targets as that is a common problem for them.

Ron

/ Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer. #8  
For your Massey, I'd use a 16' car hauler with two 3500-lb axles. 2" ratchet straps - one on the loader, one on the 3 pt, one to two on the implement.

I haul much larger tractors with the same straps.

/ Best methods of Keeping a SCUT on on the trailer. #10  
For your Massey, I'd use a 16' car hauler with two 3500-lb axles. 2" ratchet straps - one on the loader, one on the 3 pt, one to two on the implement.

I haul much larger tractors with the same straps.

I could be wrong but I thought DOT requires one strap/chain on each wheel/corner plus one for everything attached(loader + attachment).