Best mowers for steep hills. (Any price range)

/ Best mowers for steep hills. (Any price range) #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I know this has been discussed before but wanted to add a little more to the discussion. I currently have 3 Grasshopper mowers which I like a lot. I have a 325D, 725D, and a 900D. The 900D is by far my favorite as I have steep hills and the stability and traction is much better than the others. With that said there are a couple pond banks that even the 900D struggles a little so I have to go up certain areas backwards etc. The problem is the rear tires slide just a touch damaging the grass then erosion starts causing holes or small washed out areas on the dam. Would be nice to have a 4wheel steering mower with better traction. Right now I’m looking at Ventrac and the Kubota F series. Not sure which is better? Keep in mind I would use this mower in big fields to so mowing speed and comfort is important too.

Thanks

/ Best mowers for steep hills. (Any price range)
Lol. That maybe what I need.

/ Best mowers for steep hills. (Any price range) #4  
Any price range?

Price sheets are on-line. No surprises. No dealers. Factory direct.

They're located in Tazewell, VA, about 3 hours NW of you. Might be worth a day trip.

/ Best mowers for steep hills. (Any price range) #5  
I have a front deck zero turn that does really good. I was not sure if I would like it compared to a mid-mount, but I got a deal I couldn't refuse. I'm glad I did. I think I like it better than a mid-mount. It does still get stuck in the mud, but it does side hills, up and down all very well. I did add the bar tires for better traction.

I know you had said you are looking more for an actual slope mower. I thought I would throw my 2 cents in, as you seem to almost be getting by with a zero turn now. Grasshopper has what is considered to be the best front mount zero turns out there and apparently you already like grasshopper. You might try throwing a new set of Carlisle 101's the 725D and try to side hill with it.

Attachments

• stuck in pond 2.jpg
    stuck in pond 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 362

I’ve got two front mount grasshoppers and love them. The 900D is really awesome but these slopes are very steep so to the edge of the 900D’s capability.

Any price range?

Price sheets are on-line. No surprises. No dealers. Factory direct.

They're located in Tazewell, VA, about 3 hours NW of you. Might be worth a day trip.

That looks interesting. Thanks as I’m going to investigate these further.

/ Best mowers for steep hills. (Any price range) #8  
I’ve got two front mount grasshoppers and love them. The 900D is really awesome but these slopes are very steep so to the edge of the 900D’s capability.

I didn't realize the 900D was a front mount. Whoops.

/ Best mowers for steep hills. (Any price range) #9  
That goat comment may have seemed funny, but depending on the specific circumstances, it may be the best option.

/ Best mowers for steep hills. (Any price range) #10  
That goat comment may have seemed funny, but depending on the specific circumstances, it may be the best option.

My neighbors rented a bunch of goats for that very purpose. Their backyard was overgrown, and the goats made short work of the mess. I had no idea you could rent goats. They delivered them, put up temp fencing and left igloo type shelters for them.