best online place to but bulk bird seed?

/ best online place to but bulk bird seed? #1  

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
My wife feeds the birds. probably 200 birds a day.
When we go to town 65 miles away we buy around 300-500 lbs of seed.

Any online places that ship at a great price?

/ best online place to but bulk bird seed?
Thats where we get it in town. They dont ship to here though.

/ best online place to but bulk bird seed? #4  
We get ours from Tractor Supply. They have online ordering with curbside pickup. No need to enter store. They do shipping on some stuff but doubt bird seed (too heavy). 50 lb. bag of Royal Wing Classic Mix Wild Bird Food is $17.99

Last edited:
   / best online place to but bulk bird seed? #5  
Can the local feed store order it in? Mine does special orders for me when I need something he doesn't carry. Price is always reasonable and usually cheaper than what I find online with shipping.

/ best online place to but bulk bird seed? #6  
I think if you buy a full pallet from TSC you get a discount...

/ best online place to but bulk bird seed? #7  
I haven't been impressed with the stuff from TS. Seems like it has too much filler (millet). The stuff from RK is better and cheaper ($8.99 for 40 lbs), but I haven't looked to see if they ship.

Maybe just try searching for bulk suppliers? What about some of the birder organizations like National Audubon? Maybe they offer some links or sources?

/ best online place to but bulk bird seed? #8  
We get ours from Tractor Supply. They have online ordering with curbside pickup. No need to enter store. They do shipping on some stuff but doubt bird seed (too heavy). 50 lb. bag pf Royal Wing Classic Mix Wild Bird Food is $17.99

Exactly what I buy at TS. Birds never seem to have a problem with it. Only goes out from December to beginning of March between 4 feeders. Only issue is the dogs start liking it and we have to watch them LOL.

I can't help but think that with the weight of the birdseed, shipping cost will outweigh any savings on the product found online "cheap".

/ best online place to but bulk bird seed? #9  
I haven't been impressed with the stuff from TS. Seems like it has too much filler (millet). The stuff from RK is better and cheaper ($8.99 for 40 lbs), but I haven't looked to see if they ship.

Maybe just try searching for bulk suppliers? What about some of the birder organizations like National Audubon? Maybe they offer some links or sources?

I only buy the sunflower seed, not the mix. I also buy hen scratch and mix it about 80% sunflower and 20% scratch and it seems to attract all kinds of birds...from finches to cardinals...and the doves and turkeys clean up what falls on the ground.

/ best online place to but bulk bird seed? #10  
When I've looked to alternatives to the feed stores, the shipping makes it too expensive. I've spoken to the owners of the different feed storest that I buy from and they have all said that they can save me money if I buy a pallet worth of feed and include it with their normal shipping. So far, I don't have a place to store that much feed, so I haven't don it yet, but the savings is significant. A friend of my has feed for his livestock custom mixed from a company that specializes in this. They load it into a special trailer that he uses an auger to unload it into a silo. He said that his cost for feed, base on a per pound basis, is less then half of what it cost him to buy sacks of it from the feed store. And hs says that he is getting more protein and exactly what he wants by doing it this way. I have no idea if they do bird seed or not, but if I go that rought, it will be for my chickens, which I guess would be similar to wild bird seed. Eventually I'll have to get a silo, a trailer and an auger.