Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction?

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Wife wants the old 30+ year old electric range to go. ...I don't agree..... I say: "So what if the burner indication dial doesn't spin when you turn it? It still works. You can tell if it's hot-medium-or-low by how far you turned it, right?" Plus you can buy a new handle. Now I think she's just sabotaging it: She got rid of all the old crusty burner pans and replaced them with new ones that aren't notched correctly, so every burner is tilted. This makes it really hard for me to perfectly fry my bacon! Definitely sabotage. Sure, I could track down properly fitting ones too..

...but I probably won't win this (choose yer battles)...so...
..both of us don't like electric stoves, we could get gas (rural propane) , but would have to get an account, a tank, install the line/regulator (who does that? Owner or gas company?). We're thinking going induction. What's everybody's preference?
Any good/bad tips or experiences on induction?

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #2  
Wife wants the old 30+ year old electric range to go. ...I don't agree..... I say: "So what if the burner indication dial doesn't spin when you turn it? It still works. You can tell if it's hot-medium-or-low by how far you turned it, right?" Plus you can buy a new handle. Now I think she's just sabotaging it: She got rid of all the old crusty burner pans and replaced them with ones that aren't notched correctly, so every burner is tilted. This makes it really hard for me to perfectly fry my bacon! Definitely sabotage.

...so...
..both of us don't like electric stoves, we could get gas (rural propane) , but would have to get an account, a tank, install the line/regulator (who does that? Owner or gas company?). We're thinking going induction. What's everybody's preference?
Any good/bad tips or experiences on induction?

We have both electric and gas. Electric upstairs in the main Kitchen, and gas in the small kitchen downstairs. There is plus and minus to both. I think most real chef's would prefer gas due to the better heat control. A gas oven makes more of a moist heat, which can be good or bad depending on what you are baking in it. An electric is convenient, and maybe safer without an open flame. I have never had an induction.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #3  
My take on it is, chef's LOVE gas for the stove top, (fast, easier to adjust heat) BUT want electric for the oven... (more even baking)

SR

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #4  
My take on it is, chef's LOVE gas for the stove top, (fast, easier to adjust heat) BUT want electric for the oven... (more even baking) SR
Agree 100 percent. Another plus is a gas stove works in a power outage. I have a gas stove and an electric convection oven. I wish I had a gas water heater.

Last edited:
   / Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #5  
Agree 100 percent. Another plus is a gas stove works in a power outage.

That is the number 1 reason we have gas in the lower little kitchen.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #6  
We have used gas, electric and convection!

The ideal is probably induction for the top and convection for the oven.

Our convection is a counter top unit that uses 110vac and beats gas and regular hands down.
Based on 110vac and fact that it cooks 1/2 regular time of 220 ovens it is very economical.
Baking on all levels is even due to convection.

For top gas is sure fast but today induction seems to be same or maybe better except it needs steel pots and pans.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #7  
We have induction. Better than gas. Except requires magnetic pots and pans. (Pretty common now adays) Glass top, easy to clean, instant heat change, top stays relatively cool. When I boil water for the wife's pot of tea, the whistling kettle stops whistling the same for shutting off with pot in place or lifting kettle off the burner. Great control. Also, high heat input density with induction than gas. No hot handles from hot gases going up the side of pots.
Downside, won't heat your kitchen in a power outage

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #8  
With induction, are there warnings about watches and rings?

We have a electric glass top and it is slow to react to temp changes. The gas at the other house was better. The electric oven is good though.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #9  
I wouldn't even consider a stove top that I can't use my All American canners on... NO way no how...

My stove is gas, I also have a wood fired cook stove...

SR

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #10  
I have had an induction cooktop for about 12 years now. Also a double wall unit convection oven. I like them both. My Kenmore Elite just gave up the ghost about 6 months ago. We replaced it with a Bosch. I use mostly cast iron pans. I love the way they cook. And I have a soft spot for the old American cast iron. I also have some new pans and pressure cookers. When I build my new place, I would like to have another induction cooktop but I may have to fight my wife over it....she wants a Schmanttzy "restaurant quality" gas unit. Since she cooks about 5 times as much as I do, and there is a nice meal at the table almost every night, I will probably do what she wants.