Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction?

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #11  
So how well does the stainless steel pots work on the induction stovetop.?

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #12  

Some stainless is designed to work with induction. It is either magnetic stainless (yes, some grades of stainless are magnetic) or has a composite base. If you already have stainless cookware it's likely it won't work well.

We have induction and it is great once you get used to it. It heats very quickly and you can adjust the level instantly. The ability to control the heat input and the evenness of heating can't be matched by any other system.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #13  
As noted - gas cooktop, electric oven. That is what you find at the high end. You can get a range that is a "dual fuel" type that does just this. Of course you need to pull serious 220V electric and a gas line to it... We have separate units so the gas cooktop uses just the gas line (and a 110V line for the piezo igniters - don't forget you might need that), and the dual oven has a 40 or 50A 220V dedicated circuit feeding it. I forget which it was, but I think I pulled 6ga Cu for it to allow for 50A and lower voltage drop, so I probably ran a 50A breaker.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #14  
On the cooktop I have had a GE induction unit for six years and will never have anything but induction from this point on. Faster and more accurate than gas and much easier to clean up. I am an old school (100 year old vintage Griswold and Wagner) cast iron nut and that cookware works great on induction. I also have induction rated All Clad and Sur La Table stainless sets. Also Cuisinart and Lodge enameled Dutch oven and casserole pans. All work great on induction.

If magnets stick solid to the bottom of your cookware, they will work with an induction cooktop.

On the oven, I have a double Kitchen Aid electric oven. Love it.

When I found out years ago that induction would work well with my vintage cast iron collection, I was excited. But once I cooked with induction, I was even more pleased.

Last edited:
   / Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #15  
With induction, are there warnings about watches and rings?

We have a electric glass top and it is slow to react to temp changes. The gas at the other house was better. The electric oven is good though.
Induction units won't heat small items. They are smart in their design and aren't just on/off.

I needed to test an induction unit one time in a rental and had nothing like a pot to test it with. I tried pliers, hammers, crow bars, and everything else in my tool box. I eventually found something in the garage that had enough magnetic area to trigger the coils.

I love induction. Gas heat is fine in a commercial kitchen but it's basically a fireplace and will cook your whole kitchen. Induction is ultra fast and accurate. Rice? Boil then set timer to 20 minutes on low. Walk away, go do something else etc. Gas will just burn your house down. It also has some leaking dangers to it although it's pretty safe these days.

Induction is the future! It makes the pot bottom hot. Not everything else. They even make induction scoop shaped tops for wok cooking.

uploadfromtaptalk1453880514102.jpg

This is real. I've done it myself.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #16  

Lots of the current stainless steel cookware is laminated. They use to put a disk of copper or aluminum surrounded by ss for uniform heat conduction. Now they use a magnetic alloy that conducts heat better than just ss.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #17  
We used to have infrared cooktop but the glass broke after about 10 years of use. It was replaced by induction and we love it. Have it over a year and it still looks like new. Since it heats the pot its surface doesn't get too hot so spilled food doesn't bake to it. It is easy to wipe. We had to get all pots and pans new. We used to have gas in one of our previous houses the burners were all dirty and hard to keep clean after few years of use.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #18  
Lots of the current stainless steel cookware is laminated. They use to put a disk of copper or aluminum surrounded by ss for uniform heat conduction. Now they use a magnetic alloy that conducts heat better than just ss.

On the cooktop I have had a GE induction unit for six years and will never have anything but induction from this point on. Faster and more accurate than gas and much easier to clean up. I am an old school (100 year old vintage Griswold and Wagner) cast iron nut and that cookware works great on induction. I also have induction rated All Clad and Sur La Table stainless sets. Also Cuisinart and Lodge enameled Dutch oven and casserole pans. All work great on induction.

If magnets stick solid to the bottom of your cookware, they will work with an induction cooktop.

On the oven, I have a double Kitchen Aid electric oven. Love it.

When I found out years ago that induction would work well with my vintage cast iron collection, I was excited. But once I cooked with induction, I was even more pleased.

Some stainless is designed to work with induction. It is either magnetic stainless (yes, some grades of stainless are magnetic) or has a composite base. If you already have stainless cookware it's likely it won't work well.

We have induction and it is great once you get used to it. It heats very quickly and you can adjust the level instantly. The ability to control the heat input and the evenness of heating can't be matched by any other system.

Thanks for the input on the induction cooktops guys.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #19  
I prefer gas over all others, but in our last house and the current one, it wasn't a good option.

The last house we had an electric glass-top stove (not induction) and I hated it. Too wimpy. I would rather have been cooking on the propane grill outdoors. It took forever to heat up pots and pans and was either too hot or too cold.

We begrudgingly got another electric glass-top stove (again not induction) in our new house, and I couldn't be more impressed. It's a GE Cafe model, marketed as their "pro" cooktop/stove line. I guess it just puts out higher wattage or something. The gal at the supply house raved about it, and she was right. So I have a new appreciation for the glass-top stoves. This one even has a cast iron griddle that sits over the top of two burners, and it fries the best pancakes of my life.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #20  
we have induction, real nice. Faster than a microwave. Down side is all your pots/pans must be magnetic