Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction?

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #31  
Baking cookies and pies and cakes takes place in our convection oven. Great results. If I'm making bread I do it in a wood fired pizza oven. No moisture issues. And cooking any kind of meat or soup produces outstanding results.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #32  
They make canners that work with induction cook tops.

They also have induction adapter plates for the purpose of using older pots. It does lose the benefits but still works.

I'm surprised everyone on this site complaining about modern stuff aren't all still using 8n tractors. Or steam tractors.

SO, just because they make something more hi-teck than I already own, I should sell or throw away what "I" already have, just to buy something new?? :confused2:

Heck, if I had some cows to chase, I'd have kept the 8n I use to have... As for steam, I still like that, it's what makes my canners work! ha ha ha

SR

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #33  
No, when you upgrade to a new technology there are other upgrades that go along with it. You don't have to do anything. But if you want the best and newest tech then you gotta get with the program.

If your canner is aluminum you could get 8 bucks from the recycler for it.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #34  
No If your canner is aluminum you could get 8 bucks from the recycler for it.

I guess I'll pass on the "yuppie" thinking and keep the cook stove that I have...

And, seeing as scrap prices are down right now, so I guess I'll keep the canners I have too... lol

SR

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #35  
In the past, when we had gas appliances, I never noticed any specific impact of the water vapor. As noted above, we have an induction range which gives you all the advantages of gas and electric at the same time, and more. For an oven we have a double oven with a convection microwave and an electric steam oven. I'm no cooking expert, but the steam oven let's you customize the moisture while baking/roasting and it actually does work (when you know as much as my wife does about cooking.)
Don't get me wrong! My grandma had a gas oven and everything came out perfect (but that might just be because it was grandma). I think modern ovens are "tight" so any needed moisture for baking is already present in electric ovens if you don't open the door. Same thing for gas ovens...probably too tight to maintain proper humidity. I'm sure they work but one might need to ignore the package cooking times. As an aside most "pros" suggest using toothpicks to check for "doneness" on baked goods. My mom used to use straws from her broom! Thinking back it would probably send a lot of people into fits but somehow I survived.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #36  
Electric convection oven and induction cooktop for use in our home. We had a gas range and oven in the last house we were at. I would rather have our setup 7 days a week, twice on Sundays. There is no substitute for the immediate temperature control of induction, simply unparalleled.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #37  
As a safety note on induction. It heats the pan really fast. When I first got it we would time it to see how fast we could boil water. One pot brought cool tap water to a rolling boil in just over 2 minutes. That was a steel pot. I still have a steel kettle and will put it on high right away for coffee in the morning. But you do not want to do that with cast iron ( that includes enamel coated cast iron). I put those on medium. If you put it on high you risk thermal shock. You can warp or break the pan. Just like if you overheat cast iron on any other heat source. The difference is that the pan heats up so fast it can fail dramatically. I put an empty frying pan on the stove and absentmindedly hit pulse and started talking to my son. Soon thereafter there was a very loud noise and the pan exploded. Blew into 3 major pie shaped pieces. Scared the heck out of us and ruined a pan that dated to just before the depression.

You are correct. I've always babied my 100 year cast iron anyway. Too much invested in cleaning and curing the 30 or so pieces I guess. About the time I first bought induction I changed the way I cook a little. The FIRST thing I now do when cooking with cast iron is to put the skillet or oven on the induction top and turn it on to "1" (low). That starts warming up the cast iron but not enough to get it to smoke. I THEN start to gather my ingredients, etc. Shortly before using the cast iron I switch it to half the setting I will use. Then 20 or so seconds later I move it to the setting I want and will cook with. Seldom over 50%. Sounds complicated but it is not, it is just like warming up an engine.

With my stainless, I don't worry. If I need to boil water for my morning coffee, dog-gone-it, I need it now. Straight to 90%.

Having said all that, I don't know that I would change my cooktop just for induction. If you have pots and pans that are not induction rated, it may not be worth it. I was lucky in that I had a kitchen full of cast iron when my 30 year old standard cooktop died. So the decision was simple and I have no regrets.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #38  
You are correct. I've always babied my 100 year cast iron anyway. Too much invested in cleaning and curing the 30 or so pieces I guess. About the time I first bought induction I changed the way I cook a little. The FIRST thing I now do when cooking with cast iron is to put the skillet or oven on the induction top and turn it on to "1" (low). That starts warming up the cast iron but not enough to get it to smoke. I THEN start to gather my ingredients, etc. Shortly before using the cast iron I switch it to half the setting I will use. Then 20 or so seconds later I move it to the setting I want and will cook with. Seldom over 50%. Sounds complicated but it is not, it is just like warming up an engine. With my stainless, I don't worry. If I need to boil water for my morning coffee, dog-gone-it, I need it now. Straight to 90%. Having said all that, I don't know that I would change my cooktop just for induction. If you have pots and pans that are not induction rated, it may not be worth it. I was lucky in that I had a kitchen full of cast iron when my 30 year old standard cooktop died. So the decision was simple and I have no regrets.
How do you store 30 pieces? I have maybe half that many pots and pans and my cabinet is jammed.

/ Best oven type: Gas, electric or induction? #39  
How do you store 30 pieces? I have maybe half that many pots and pans and my cabinet is jammed.

One nice thing about Griswold cast iron is that they stack or "nest" inside each other. Same for Dutch ovens. Griddles are flat and stack nicely. Casserole pans stack inside each other as well. If enamel, they need some sort of fusion since enamel is glass. Lids are a bit of a challenge.