Best Steering / Frame / Tractor Combo -- for Robotic-Electric.

/ Best Steering / Frame / Tractor Combo -- for Robotic-Electric. #1  

Phil Timmons

Silver Member
Any bright thought about the best Steering / Tractor combo . . . or maybe even the other direction -- the Do Nots for these . . .

For a sort of Robotic / Autonomous / Semi-Autonomous field tractor rig?

Figure this will be Electric, All-Wheel Drive. Small battery for general mobility, and then Cord-Connected when it is time to get-to-work.

The sketch below covers the general options. The skid steer could also be a "track." (Skid Steer works with just rights or just left wheels turning. Sometimes one side forward and one backward for zero radius turn).

I guess they missed the Zero Turn mower style. Suppose I should include that. Well, cannot find a decent sketch. I guess you know how those work? Two forward-reverse drive wheels, along with "dumb" caster wheels, up front.

So which is better or best and why?

Thanks!

1-Figure1-1.png

/ Best Steering / Frame / Tractor Combo -- for Robotic-Electric. #2  
All of them obviously.

/ Best Steering / Frame / Tractor Combo -- for Robotic-Electric. #3  
#3 will give the best turning radius without whipping the loader or other fixed attachment the way an articulated design does.

/ Best Steering / Frame / Tractor Combo -- for Robotic-Electric.
I figured #2 was the weird one, until I considered that is how every (?) Combine works.

/ Best Steering / Frame / Tractor Combo -- for Robotic-Electric. #5  
What tasks and terrain are you planning? Each design has pros and cons depending on the task, terrain, space available, machine weight, horsepower, etc.

/ Best Steering / Frame / Tractor Combo -- for Robotic-Electric. #6  
What tasks and terrain are you planning? Each design has pros and cons depending on the task, terrain, space available, machine weight, horsepower, etc.

Really good point -- let the task(s) direct the methods? Maybe throw cost at some level in there, too.

For example, the Zero Turn Mower style is cheapest, and I suppose the 4 wheel drive + 4 wheel independent steering is the most expensive.

My intended use is typical crop-veggie farming. But probably without the need for huge drawbar capacity (like a typical plow, as it were) in favor of large(r) scale rototilling.

So that is probably:

1. Seed Bed (rototill, again),
2. Planter,
3. Various harvester add-ons, and
4. Shuttle-transport, I suppose.

Have considered underslung rototiller -- down between the wheels, at it were. But could also be tow-behind.

Full fantasy would also handle an auger (mid-mount or behind, dunno, yet) and trencher / mini-backhoe -- all for Solar Projects.

Another thing towards task -- light weight. At least compared to a typical tractor. So this thing can load up easy on a 1/2 ton pickup truck, rather than maxing out a three-axle gooseneck. ;)

As far as Horsey Power -- probably well under 100 HP (100kW -- for everything -- drive motor(s), attachments, even lights). Would probably want under 50 HP for the first prototype. (50kW, because a cheap standard 250V 200 Amp single phase service can source that).