Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
My sister is in need of a riding mower for her city lot. I’m not big on MTD, and I’ve never heard good things of the made for big box store John Deere riders, either. I’m a bit shy of recommend she buy a used Troy Built, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Murray, etc. knowing they are likely repaired disposable units. She can’t afford fixing a band-aid mower someone fixed to get by and sell. So, I started looking at the 100 Series John Deere riders at tractor dealers and the Kubota base mower (TG?). I just think spending a bit now is better than cutting it short now.
Any thoughts on what you’d do? Recommendations based upon experience? All is appreciated.

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers #2  
I'm no expert but shopping last year I learned most are the same. American Yard Products owns MTD which means they make Husqvarna, Craftsman, MTD, and others. I learned with my pressure washer that even though it has the Troy Built name they won't support it lo I'm leery of them. The Cub Cadet from the big box store is not necessarily the same one the farm store sells - I learned that last year. The big box store sells the XT1 series while the farm store may sell that or the XT2 series. Differences? I haven't a clue, I just bought an XT2 from the farm store knowing I could get better support. The local Husqvarna dealer pissed me off though the local farm store bent over backward to find parts for my ten year old Craftsman. They're not available, hence the Cub Cadet. Is Cadet better than Deere? I haven't a clue but it's definitely less expensive than Kubota.

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers #3  
AYP products aren't that bad. Lots of 10 year old ones still in operation. I have a "Black" Craftsman Professional with a 24hp Briggs and a 42" deck. Works fine still and 10 years old now. The key is maint and use. If just cutting a acre or less sure thing they will last forever. Probably 20 years or so. But if the user doesn't change the oil and doesn't fix the small stuff sure it can get worse and blow. My brother in law had a "Grey" Craftsman with the 12.5hp engine and a 38" deck. He "gave" it to me and all that was wrong with it was it had vibrated the bolts out of the crankcase and was leaking and blowing out oil. He didn't blow the engine luckily and all i had to do was to pull the motor out and put some new gaskets on it and some new bolts. That thing ran for another 10 years till we gave it away one spring when it wouldn't start (bad gas most likely). By then it was 20 years old. So, just buy whatever based on your needs. If you need something for more acres of cutting and some real ground implements you'll find something better at a Lawn and garden dealership, not the big box store.

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers #4  
If it is a city lot, is a rider really needed ?

Perhaps a walk behind would be a better choice.

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers #5  
I use a 1997 Kmart MTD mower as the second owner and thought the same as others about the low price quality. This mower has impressed me with its reliability and endurance. The only parts that have been replaced are the steering wheel and tires. I got to close to the mail box and destroyed the steering wheel. I'm not a big fan of hydrostatic transmissions and the cheaper MTD lawn tractors are the only ones that are available without them.

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers #6  
American Yard Products owns MTD which means they make Husqvarna, Craftsman, MTD, and others.
I can't find anything on that. As far as I know, MTD is the parent of many brands. AYP is either separately owned and operated, or part of Husqvarna based on which sites I can find.

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers #7  
I think Arians now own/build most of those yard type products.
There has been a lot of corporate takeovers in that field.

If I'm not mistaken Singer is one that has become a powerhouse in the small engine industry.

Kind of like Stanley/DeWalt (B&D) controlling a huge segment of the tool industry.

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers
Thanks everyone. Sis decided to go with a Cub Cadet from Tractor Supply. Price was $100 less, reviews everywhere were 4-1/2 to 5 stars, and Tractor Supply lists about every part on line. After having a small engine business for about 9 years when I was young, I’ll just fix anything she needs. I have already gone through the maintenance with her, and general care so it lasts as long as it can. While it’s not a Kubota, it’ll do. She has a bad back and a house built in a hill, so pushing and the larger than average yard size makes it difficult.
Thanks again for the input.

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers #9  
Thanks everyone. Sis decided to go with a Cub Cadet from Tractor Supply. Price was $100 less, reviews everywhere were 4-1/2 to 5 stars, and Tractor Supply lists about every part on line. After having a small engine business for about 9 years when I was young, I’ll just fix anything she needs. I have already gone through the maintenance with her, and general care so it lasts as long as it can. While it’s not a Kubota, it’ll do. She has a bad back and a house built in a hill, so pushing and the larger than average yard size makes it difficult.
Thanks again for the input.

You’re a very good brother. Congrats on the mower.

MoKelly

/ Best Used or New Budget Riding Mowers
You’re a very good brother. Congrats on the mower.

MoKelly

Thanks. She’s a good girl. After the BIL left her with three girls to feed his 5’-2” syndrome, she’s been trying to get her ship up righted. It’s been a difficult. I was ready to buy her a mower, but she argued with me and started to get emotional. I’ll find other ways to make sure she’s okay and gets the help she needs. I’ve never seen a woman so excited over a mower. It was actually like watching a kid with a new bike.