Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor?

/ Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #11  
Does anybody know if a diesel fuel pump will pump hydraulic fluid okay, or will that hurt it? I'm asking for a friend :)

/ Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #12  
   / Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #13  
I have a 12v pump I use to pump diesel into the tractor. 8-9 gpm. It was only $18 on ebay, and when it was time to change hydraulic oil, I said WTH I'll try it. If I burn the pump up, no big deal. Well...3 hydraulic changes later, I'm still using the same pump for diesel & hydraulic oil. Uses a ¾" flex tube on the outbound end of it, that fits well into the fill hole on the reservoir.

It's slower than 8 gpm pumping oil, but no mess. Probably takes 3-4 minutes to pump 5 gal of oil.

/ Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #14  
I take the low tech approach by refilling 1 gallon at time with a flexible neck oil can.
Same here.

In a similar vein, what do you guys do when you drain it? The pan I use for regular oil changes will only take a little over 6 qt, so that was out of the question, and a 5 gal bucket wouldn't fit. I just ended up draining into a 2 gal pail, putting the plug back in, and transferring to empty jugs. Rinse, lather, repeat.

/ Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #15  
Same here.

In a similar vein, what do you guys do when you drain it? The pan I use for regular oil changes will only take a little over 6 qt, so that was out of the question, and a 5 gal bucket wouldn't fit. I just ended up draining into a 2 gal pail, putting the plug back in, and transferring to empty jugs. Rinse, lather, repeat.

I had to pull the hydraulic oil out on mine and just cheated a little bit. Pull one of the lines of the hydraulic winch, put it inside the 5 liter jug, started the engine and moved the lever for the winch till the jug was fill. Then it was just a matter of swapping jugs till the pump wouldn't put out no more This was obviously done at idle and once it started cavitating, I stopped right away.

Then the left over was drained using the drain plugs and only took about one 5 liter jug and about half of another.

/ Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #16  
Why not just siphon it ?

/ Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #17  
Unlike a lot of tractors with vague fill capacities, I know exactly what mine hold and no sight glass, both mine have dipsticks on the backend (pto cover).

Never been fond of the sight glass deal, just another place to fail and leak.

/ Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #18  
I had to pull the hydraulic oil out on mine and just cheated a little bit. Pull one of the lines of the hydraulic winch, put it inside the 5 liter jug, started the engine and moved the lever for the winch till the jug was fill. Then it was just a matter of swapping jugs till the pump wouldn't put out no more This was obviously done at idle and once it started cavitating, I stopped right away.

Then the left over was drained using the drain plugs and only took about one 5 liter jug and about half of another.
I've heard the stuff is good for keeping dust down on a gravel drive.... :p

/ Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #19  
Same here.

I use a Tupperware style packing bin. They are around 20 gallons, but I usually only let it fill partially so it's easier to dump into buckets I take to recycling.

/ Best Way to Get Hydraulic Fluid into Tractor? #20  
I've heard the stuff is good for keeping dust down on a gravel drive.... :p

Careful now, you are showing your age. If you did that today you could not afford the fines from the EPA popo.