Best way to raost a turkey

/ Best way to raost a turkey #2  
:eek:...or have someone else do it.

/ Best way to raost a turkey #4  
Brine overnight, preheat oven to 475, cook until proper temp reached (for example, about 3 hours for 16lb turkey). We bought a fresh turkey this year (as opposed to frozen in the past) and it was very moist and tender. Best turkey ever... if you get a frozen turkey, thaw it out before cooking..

Sorry this is past when you need it, but perhaps turkey for Christmas?

/ Best way to raost a turkey #5  
I prefer smoker.
1480372006652.jpg

/ Best way to raost a turkey #6  
I'm sure most folks think THEIR way to cook a turkey is best, but the way "I" prefer my turkey is deep fried! It's just plain easy and even the breast meat is super moist without any of the turkey being greasy!

I finally decided to buy a Butterball brand, electric turkey fryer and give it a go, so I can deep fry my turkeys indoors, and here it is,

standard.jpg

It uses 2-3/4 gallons of oil, and peanut oil is recommended. It will fry up to a 20 pound turkey, or several chickens ect... You can also put water in it for "boils", but I bought it primarily to fry turkeys and I bought a couple 14 pounders that were on sale to try it out.

Anyway, I filled it with the proper amount of oil and turned it on to "pre-heat". It has a dial to set the temp of the oil and 375* is the MAX and is also the recommended temp to use.

After about a 40 min. warm up (I didn't time it) a green light comes on and tells you it's up to temp, I seasoned the turkey, patted it dry and set it in the pan that comes with it, then SLOOOOWLY lowered it into the oil,

standard.jpg

Everything went smoothly and I set the timer for 50 minutes, 3.5 to 4 mins per pound is recommended.

After the 50 mins I set it for, a beeper (could be louder) went off, it does NOT shut the cooker off or anything else, it's just a digital timer. I kept track of the time and was at the cooker when it "beeped" and I lifted the basket/turkey out of the oil with the handle they supplied,

standard.jpg

(it was actually a bit darker than the pict. shows) After "tenting" the turkey and letting it "rest" about 20 mins, I cut into it!

I gotta tell ya, everyone absolutely LOVED the turkey! The skin was crisp, the white meat was really moist, same as the dark meat! NONE of the meat was greasy, as the high heat seals the grease out... It was a complete success and totally painless to do!

This roaster works completely as advertised, I'm glad I bought it, we will use it not only for turkeys, but I'm sure we will be using it for chickens too, as we will be able to fry them two at a time, that's about perfect for us, as we like those kind of leftovers!

Clean up is pretty easy as the steel liner comes out to wash, and draining the oil out is easy too, as you use a supplied spigot, that screws into a bottom corner of the roaster that allows you to drain the oil back into the jugs it came out of.

There you have it... The BEST way to cook a turkey for ME! lol

SR

/ Best way to raost a turkey #7  

I smoked a breast this year and it took friggin forever. It was going pretty good then it seemed to stall at around 150 like when you smoke a pork butt. I couldn't figure it out as there is no collagen in a turkey breast. I finished the thing off in the oven so we could eat while it was still Thanksgiving Day and not Black Friday. Next year I'll go back to the Weber kettle and full tent method except for the last 30 min which has always been my go to, never fail technique. It's fast two. I could probably have cooked two whole turkeys in the kettle in the time I had that breast in the smoker. It did taste good though. I used apple and a little cherry wood.

/ Best way to raost a turkey #8  
I saw one the other day where a guy buys just the breast and debones them and puts them in a crock pot with a couple sticks of butter. Sounded pretty good to me.

/ Best way to raost a turkey #9  
Mine actually cooked too fast. I ended up dropping the temp to 150 to keep it hot but the breast did dry out a little. Those 2 birds were done in 6 hours and had expected 8 hours.

/ Best way to raost a turkey #10  
Mine actually cooked too fast. I ended up dropping the temp to 150 to keep it hot but the breast did dry out a little. Those 2 birds were done in 6 hours and had expected 8 hours.

Jeez what temperature do you smoke at? I smoke everything at 225F.
When I roast them in the kettle grill, the temp is much higher and covered the way I do, there is a lot of steam cooking going on which makes it faster which helps keep it moist too.