Best way to raost a turkey

/ Best way to raost a turkey #12  
Last bird I cooked was the way Americas Test Kitchen did Julia Child's recipe. It took a little time but was delicious and the stuffing was off the hook awesome. There's many good ways to cook a turkey but that's my preferred way.

You basically cook the white and dark meat separate and for diff times

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/413-revisiting-julia-childs-roast-turkey

IMG_2847.JPG
IMG_2845.JPGIMG_2850.JPG

You cook the turkey over the stuffing so it's actual stuffing and not dressing. Best stuffing I have ever had. Turkey was tasty and tender, wasn't magical but I was impressed.

P.S that's real stuffing made from diced dried bread, diced vegetables and dried cranberries, fresh spices nothing from a box.

/ Best way to raost a turkey #13  
This year I decided to try something different, at least for me.
We've a convection oven and SWMBO bought a 20lb bird. I put it in at about 0300 on 450 and gave it about 30 minutes to crisp the skin, then dropped it down to 275 until I could "shake a leg", basting occasionally. Came out excellent, didn't finish until about 0830.

/ Best way to raost a turkey #14  
This was the 32nd year I've cooked my turkey (indirect) on the charcoal Weber kettle. It always comes out great, and there is no dry white meat that seems to befuddle a lot of people.

Buy the V rack and cook the turkey breast down. Always comes out delicious and moist.This method imparts a completely different flavor to the bird.

Only draw back to my method is every year is different, and the cooking time is never consistent or exact. The variables you have to deal with are outside temp's, size of bird, calm or windy, plus every hour, you have the lid off the cooker to add charcoal and baste and lose heat.
This year a 12# bird took a little over 3 hours.
But we take that into account and plan the rest of the meal accordingly. It also frees up the oven for other things.

/ Best way to raost a turkey #15  
That is a great unit! My brother bought it as his travel fryer but unless he's frying two at once, it is now his go to fryer.

Don't throw away the carcass, simmer it in a large stock pot with celery, onions and carrots for the finest soup stock.

My neighbor has one of these, swears it is as good as a fryer. I will borrow it as a test and bump this thread with the results. Reviews say clean up is a snap.

Char-Broil Big Easy Turkey Fryer

I'm sure most folks think THEIR way to cook a turkey is best, but the way "I" prefer my turkey is deep fried! It's just plain easy and even the breast meat is super moist without any of the turkey being greasy! I finally decided to buy a Butterball brand, electric turkey fryer and give it a go, so I can deep fry my turkeys indoors, and here it is, It uses 2-3/4 gallons of oil, and peanut oil is recommended. It will fry up to a 20 pound turkey, or several chickens ect... You can also put water in it for "boils", but I bought it primarily to fry turkeys and I bought a couple 14 pounders that were on sale to try it out. Anyway, I filled it with the proper amount of oil and turned it on to "pre-heat". It has a dial to set the temp of the oil and 375* is the MAX and is also the recommended temp to use. After about a 40 min. warm up (I didn't time it) a green light comes on and tells you it's up to temp, I seasoned the turkey, patted it dry and set it in the pan that comes with it, then SLOOOOWLY lowered it into the oil, Everything went smoothly and I set the timer for 50 minutes, 3.5 to 4 mins per pound is recommended. After the 50 mins I set it for, a beeper (could be louder) went off, it does NOT shut the cooker off or anything else, it's just a digital timer. I kept track of the time and was at the cooker when it "beeped" and I lifted the basket/turkey out of the oil with the handle they supplied, (it was actually a bit darker than the pict. shows) After "tenting" the turkey and letting it "rest" about 20 mins, I cut into it! I gotta tell ya, everyone absolutely LOVED the turkey! The skin was crisp, the white meat was really moist, same as the dark meat! NONE of the meat was greasy, as the high heat seals the grease out... It was a complete success and totally painless to do! This roaster works completely as advertised, I'm glad I bought it, we will use it not only for turkeys, but I'm sure we will be using it for chickens too, as we will be able to fry them two at a time, that's about perfect for us, as we like those kind of leftovers! Clean up is pretty easy as the steel liner comes out to wash, and draining the oil out is easy too, as you use a supplied spigot, that screws into a bottom corner of the roaster that allows you to drain the oil back into the jugs it came out of. There you have it... The BEST way to cook a turkey for ME! lol SR

/ Best way to raost a turkey #16  
Don't throw away the carcass, simmer it in a large stock pot with celery, onions and carrots for the finest soup stock.

That's exactly what we do, then freeze much of the broth in 2 cup cubes... I use them for making rice through out the year!

We LOVE that flavor in our rice!

SR

/ Best way to raost a turkey #17  
My wife uses a Nesco roaster for 40 years and can't think of a bad bird we ever had other than a goose we captured. It cooked for hours and hours and there never was a sign of it getting done. It was one tough sucker.

A 14 # turkey cooked for 3-1/2 hours I think. I would love to try a deep fryer but she does the cooking so I stay away from it. A benefit from a roaster is that the bird can be stuffed with stuffing of some sort and I can't see how a deep fryer would work in that case.

/ Best way to raost a turkey #18  
My neighbor has one of these, swears it is as good as a fryer. I will borrow it as a test and bump this thread with the results. Reviews say clean up is a snap. Char-Broil Big Easy Turkey Fryer

Ok, I'm buying one of these. The turkey came out great.

I injected it with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter marinade just like when I fry them. Then I dusted the bird and the cavity with Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning.

I cooked the bird until it was 165 degrees, not sure how long but it had to be around 3 or 4 hours. Note.. 22.5 lbs was almost too big, I had to manipulate the wings to get the bird in the basket lol

Amazon has these for $79.00 and free shipping with Prime. You supply your own propane tank.

Cleanup was quicker and easier than the indoor fryer. Next time I'll spray the basket with cooking spray and see if that makes clean up even faster.

Next I'll do a couple chickens and then make my soup stock with my turkey fryer pot so all those scents stay outside.

/ Best way to raost a turkey #19  
A couple days ago, I turned on my Butterball deep fryer to pre-heat it, and got a couple 5 + pound chickens ready,

standard.jpg

I deep fried them for 40 minutes, and they came out REALLY good!!

standard.jpg

They were fall off the bone tender, and very juicy!

This deep fryer get's a BIG thumbs up from me!!

SR