Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles #1  

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
I see there is both throw away and refillable bottles available. Any advantage?

Whats the best way to fill them?

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles #2  
I bought an adapter at Northern Tools. I have had zero luck despite following numerous youtube videos. I hate spending money on overpriced propane bottles!

I overcame the partial filling issue by freezing the bottles and using the second valve on the tank for purging, but my latest problem was that the second valves would not reseal. So I just had to hear my valuable propane leaking slowly away.

Where do you see refillable bottles? That would interest me.

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles #3  
I fill them ALL the time with just the fill valve. I put the small ones in the freezer or outside in a snow bank. I put the big tank in the 90 degree basement. I heat/cool them accordingly. I then turn the big tank upside down and open the valve. Sometimes it takes several minutes. Most times I can fill them as full or a bit fuller than a new one. The fuller the big tank the better it works. If I get one that does not fill or leaks I just use it for target practice and then scrap it. I can always find the small tanks on the ice while fishing so there is n ou shortage. I tried the forceps on the relief valve etc., but the above way works the same. YMMV

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles #4  
I fill them ALL the time with just the fill valve. I put the small ones in the freezer or outside in a snow bank. I put the big tank in the 90 degree basement. I heat/cool them accordingly. I then turn the big tank upside down and open the valve. Sometimes it takes several minutes. Most times I can fill them as full or a bit fuller than a new one. The fuller the big tank the better it works. If I get one that does not fill or leaks I just use it for target practice and then scrap it. I can always find the small tanks on the ice while fishing so there is n ou shortage. I tried the forceps on the relief valve etc., but the above way works the same. YMMV

I'm not trying to be Debbie downer here but overfilling a propane tank is a very bad idea. It has to be able to expand or it can explode. I took a 3 day propane class when I was in the FD and it had me scared to light my gas grill when it was over.

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles #5  
I'm not trying to be Debbie downer here but overfilling a propane tank is a very bad idea. It has to be able to expand or it can explode. I took a 3 day propane class when I was in the FD and it had me scared to light my gas grill when it was over.
Yep, you can only put 80% liquid in a tank, as you need the 20% for gas.

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles
I bought an adapter at Northern Tools. I have had zero luck despite following numerous youtube videos. I hate spending money on overpriced propane bottles!

I overcame the partial filling issue by freezing the bottles and using the second valve on the tank for purging, but my latest problem was that the second valves would not reseal. So I just had to hear my valuable propane leaking slowly away.

Where do you see refillable bottles? That would interest me.

Amazon

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles #7  
I filled 4 by freezing small tanks and make sure 20# tank was warm, like in the summer. I used a transfer valve from Amazon and got each tank 1/2 to 3/4 full approx. Took only a minute to fell each one. Just make sure the Schroeder valve in the small tank seats. I put a little water on top to see if it bubbles. If it does leak I connect a torch and take it off and check it again. Then sometimes I just leave the torch head on.

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles #8  
I once bought a refillable Propane kit and fitted to my motorhome, or as the US call it RV. to provide the cooking and heating. Once fitted it was checked by a qualified gas engineer and given a safety certificate. To fill, I would pull into a `gas` station that sold propane for vehicles, and just fill it up. There was a device in the tank to stop filling above the maximum allowed. The system had a contents gauge. If I had a need for propane now, I think I would consider buying another kit and have it so arranged I could pick it up when empty and take it too the nearest `gas` station to refill. At the time when I bought the system, I worked out the cost, and after filling the tank 4 times, it would be in profit over buying refilled cylinders from agents.

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles
Just make sure the Schroeder valve in the small tank seats. I put a little water on top to see if it bubbles. If it does leak I connect a torch and take it off and check it again. Then sometimes I just leave the torch head on.

Great way th handle the valve. All single one use bottles?

/ Best way to refill 1lb propane bottles #10  
Campground etiquette: When you're ready to go home and the final 1 lb cylinder from your camp stove won't seal after you detach it - offer it to a neighbor or leave it next to the dumpster, for another camper to use.