Best way to seal asphalt after dandelions poked through?

/ Best way to seal asphalt after dandelions poked through? #1  

hawkeye08

Elite Member
We had a new asphalt driveway done last year and this spring, we had a bunch of dandelions poke up. They caused bumps 2-3" round and cracked the asphalt in the bumps. They were difficult to kill completely but it appears they are finally dead and not coming back. I want to smooth the asphalt back down and seal it. Anyone know the best way for homeowner to do this? Thanks in advance.

My current plan is to heat up the bumps and after they are sufficiently warmed, tamp them flat, then apply a sealer. I might even dump some roundup in them prior to sealing them all up again.

/ Best way to seal asphalt after dandelions poked through? #2  
Hate to say this but you may need another layer of asphalt:confused:

/ Best way to seal asphalt after dandelions poked through? #3  
We had a new asphalt driveway done last year and this spring, we had a bunch of dandelions poke up. They caused bumps 2-3" round and cracked the asphalt in the bumps. They were difficult to kill completely but it appears they are finally dead and not coming back. I want to smooth the asphalt back down and seal it. Anyone know the best way for homeowner to do this? Thanks in advance.

My current plan is to heat up the bumps and after they are sufficiently warmed, tamp them flat, then apply a sealer. I might even dump some roundup in them prior to sealing them all up again.

Maybe rent a plate compactor to tamp it down and then seal it?

/ Best way to seal asphalt after dandelions poked through?
Hate to say this but you may need another layer of asphalt:confused:

Not sure why I would need another layer of asphalt but thanks for reply.

Maybe rent a plate compactor to tamp it down and then seal it?

Don't need a plate compactor, after warming it up alittle, I can tamp it down flat with a hand tamper. Any thoughts on what sealer to use? The asphalt company had told me if I put any sealer on it, don't fall for water based crap, get the non water based good stuff and do it right.

/ Best way to seal asphalt after dandelions poked through? #5  
I would take an asphalt torch (weed burner) and heat up the area. Once hot rake down the high areas, raking the fines into the holes/voids and tamp. I don't think I would seal asphalt, you'll never see anyone seal a road... what I have been told is that once you seal it once, you pretty much have to seal it yearly, but you could not seal it, and save the money for an overlay in 10-15 years. Only way I would consider sealing is if you have bad cracking that is allowing water into your base. Even then, the asphalt sealer is too thin to do much with the cracks.

I would take an asphalt torch (weed burner) and heat up the area. Once hot rake down the high areas, raking the fines into the holes/voids and tamp. I don't think I would seal asphalt, you'll never see anyone seal a road... what I have been told is that once you seal it once, you pretty much have to seal it yearly, but you could not seal it, and save the money for an overlay in 10-15 years. Only way I would consider sealing is if you have bad cracking that is allowing water into your base. Even then, the asphalt sealer is too thin to do much with the cracks.

Thanks, I have used the week burner (not full blast as it is too hot) to warm up the bump and then gently tamp it and it is plenty smooth.

We are only talking small 2 to 3 inch bumps and the cracks are only minor in the bump itself, they are not big bumps or cracks. It was sealed with hot sealer right after it was put down and let dry for 10 days.

I think I'm going to get a 5 gallon bucket of the good sealer and make sure the bumps have sealer so water does not get in and freeze, causing more problems..

I need to replace my HF weed burner, it fell on the concrete floor and snapped a connector on the handle. I keep forgetting to take it in a see if they will replace it for free. I want to get this taken care before winter (we are expecting some good snow this year) and I don't want to catch a bump with the snow blower or tractor bucket or blade...

Last edited:
   / Best way to seal asphalt after dandelions poked through? #8  
Had that happen with a fern coming up through the asphalt drive. I sort of couldn't believe it, but seeing is believing as they say. :laughing:

Pulling the root out was a non-starter. I waited for a warm day and carefully beat the thing flat with a 3 lb. flat-faced hammer. I had to repeat that a couple times, but eventually the fern gave up.

That driveway was sealed, and when this happened, the drive was 4 or 5 years old. Where the fern came through, the drive was passing by and on some ledge, so it may not have been very thick in that area, or, water crept between the ledge and asphalt and froze starting a crack maybe.

/ Best way to seal asphalt after dandelions poked through? #9  
Asphalt will certainly grow grass. And it looks terrible, a fresh black drive with tufts of green grass poping up. I would use round up, then torch abiut a week after roundup. The torch doesn't really kill the roots like the roundup does.

/ Best way to seal asphalt after dandelions poked through? #10  
Asphalt will certainly grow grass. And it looks terrible, a fresh black drive with tufts of green grass poping up. I would use round up, then torch abiut a week after roundup. The torch doesn't really kill the roots like the roundup does.

This is exactly what I did earlier this summer and no issues at all. My pavement is 4 years old and is unsealed. Our driveway contractor suggested we not fall into the trap of cosmetically sealing it. But there are plenty in our neighborhood that do without ill effects. To each his own, I guess.