Best way to sell a tractor on eBay

/ Best way to sell a tractor on eBay #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
I want to sell my Steiner tractor on eBay, but am not sure what is the best way to list it. If I start it with no reserve, I have the risk of selling too cheap. What do you think the best way to list it?

/ Best way to sell a tractor on eBay #2  
Can't you set your starting bid at any amount you want, without using a reserve?

Bruce

/ Best way to sell a tractor on eBay #3  
Yes, you can set a reserve, but that discourages bidders. Once bidders place a bid, no matter how low, they are "in the race." They receive an e-mail every time they're outbid.

Frank, have you considered TractorHouse instead? Or even a local ad paper, like the Thrifty Nickel?

/ Best way to sell a tractor on eBay #4  
I've sold vehicles on ebay twice before. I did not do the no reserve. I did enter a reserve price and set the starting bid much lower. For example, reserve price was $14k, the starting bid could be anything, I chose $5k. If the bids didn't reach $14k I didn't sell. The reserve not met always shows up under the current bid. If someone was close to reserve and the sale ended I had the option of contacting the high bidder with a second chance offer. At no reserve there is always a chance you'll lose money. If you value your item don't risk it being sold at no reserve. Someone else asked if you could set your starting bid. Yes you can. That is the only way I'd do a no reserve. If you want to sell for $3k set your start bid for $2800. The bad thing about that is the buyers know your start bid is close to what you want and are hesitant to bid.

/ Best way to sell a tractor on eBay #5  
I've sold a few garden tractors on eBay in the past. Started at $100 and took my chances. The sales worked out for me but I don't think I'd chance it on something more valuable. I've since given up on eBay for larger items and now use craigslist. Anyone who is really looking for a particular tractor can search all of CL for whatever regions they choose. You and the buyer can negotiate however you want and no eBay fees.

/ Best way to sell a tractor on eBay #6  
No reserve really only works well for things that you know are highly in demand, and you're sure you have the details of your auction correct. I once bought a target .22 pistol off GunBroker really cheap because the seller had a typo in the title, the auction was no reserve, and it wasn't showing up in normal searches that people would do for that mode (very popular). It was a S&W M41, and the lister simply left out the space so it was "S&WM41" which wouldn't show up in anybody's search terms. The going rate for that gun at the time was around $750 (used) and I got it for $500 which was the opening bid. Luckily, for the seller he put a fairly high opening bid.

/ Best way to sell a tractor on eBay #7  
I also have given up on epay....they just charge too much. I would give craigslist a shot.