Best way to take calcium out of tractor tires

/ Best way to take calcium out of tractor tires #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
I have ag tires on my tractor and they are filled with calcium, my question is can I take the calcium out myself or to I need to get a tire service company to do it? If I can do it how is the best way? Thanks for any help. Tire size 16.9 - 30

/ Best way to take calcium out of tractor tires #3  
I've thought about this... Install a tee on the valve stem with two valves. Connect one valve to air supply, the other valve to a drum for the fluid. A bit of a laborious process... pressurize tire, shut off, open fluid valve till flow stops. repeat process. Getting the last fluid below the valve without breaking the bead is the problem. Having the rim exposed to air and calcium is asking for corrosion. Although, removing most of the fluid makes tire dismounting easier.

/ Best way to take calcium out of tractor tires #4  
I've thought about this... Install a tee on the valve stem with two valves. Connect one valve to air supply, the other valve to a drum for the fluid. A bit of a laborious process... pressurize tire, shut off, open fluid valve till flow stops. repeat process. Getting the last fluid below the valve without breaking the bead is the problem. Having the rim exposed to air and calcium is asking for corrosion. Although, removing most of the fluid makes tire dismounting easier.

If you install a second valve stem 180° from the first on the rim this works well. Saves the cost of the pump. But you have to break the bead to install it.....

/ Best way to take calcium out of tractor tires #6  
To do a really complete job you will have to dismount the tires. Wash the tire insides well, as Tractor Seabee indicates. Also grind down any rust/corrosion on the rims and repaint with a good marine type paint.

/ Best way to take calcium out of tractor tires #7  
Regional tire company Les Schwab told me they would do it. I forget the cost but there was no disposal cost*, just salt water introduced to the local sewage system which is used to it. Drop in the ocean. There may not be much rust if there are no leaks. Rust requires oxygen and inside the wheel it gets used up quickly.

*probably subject to the person you get.